Author Topic: atomising washer jets and washer fluid  (Read 3734 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
atomising washer jets and washer fluid
« on: 19 March 2018, 17:50 »
The windscreen washers (7.5ppGtiWinterPack) produce a fine mist rather than a single jet of water which my previous cars have done.

First of all, is this normal? Or are they partially blocked?

If normal, would it be a good idea to fill with demineralised water to avoid depositing solid material on the fine holes (as happens in my shower)?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: atomising washer jets and washer fluid
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2018, 18:18 »
The mk7 has fan type washer jets that produces a finer spray that old style jets, so all normal.

I'd fill it with washer fluid, not water. You'll get all sorts of muck growing in water, less in DI but still some.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2018, 18:56 »
I always mix mine with water and never had any issues.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2018, 19:11 »
As above, no precautions necessary. VW try to sell their own washer fluid, on the understanding that it is required to stop the fan jets blocking. I've used Halfords concentrated washer fluid, diluted with tap water, 50% in the winter, 25% in the summer, and never had a problem.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2018, 19:58 »
If the bathroom shower head gets crusty, I can't see why the VW fan jets shouldn't if you use tap water.

Looking at the responses and trying to assign water authorities, the Kielder reservoir will have soft water, Oxford (Thames Water) will be hard, Scarborough - I don't know.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2018, 20:05 »
I use the VW screenwash and dilute with tap water, did the same with my previous Audi (which also had fan jets) owned for 12 years with no problems at all. And that's with London hard water.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2018, 20:30 »
The mk7 has fan type washer jets that produces a finer spray that old style jets, so all normal.

I'd fill it with washer fluid, not water. You'll get all sorts of muck growing in water, less in DI but still some.

"Washer Fluid" is just Washer concentrate mixed with water, if you don't mind paying for water then use that. I use Halfrauds Berry concentrate screen wash and water out of the house dehumidifier to dilute it as our tap water is hard as hell.

As for the jets, the fan is supposed to use much less water than the jet pattern. Pity if you have Xenon's they set them to was so regular to empty the tank.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2018, 21:00 »
I mix concentrated washer fluid with DI (deionised) water from my Raceglaze water filter, but before that I’d mix it with water from the reservoir of a condenser tumble dryer as that’s essentially distilled.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2018, 13:12 »
When I said washer fluid I meant not only just tap water without any detergents/preservatives and anti freeze in... I’d call them t washer fluid whether bought ready mixed or made up from concentrate and diluted with water.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2018, 20:06 »
Alternative to demineralised is Tesco 'Ashbeck' bottled water - a quid for five litres - it has a very low calcium level and wont fur up your kettle or your washer jets :-)