Author Topic: maximise life of dsg  (Read 4289 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
maximise life of dsg
« on: 16 March 2018, 09:50 »
I am very impressed by the 7 speed dsg box on the git pp 7.5.

I presume this is a wet clutch box. When I am stuck, creeping along slowly in traffic, sometimes it is apparent that the box just engages 1st gear and moves along slowly and smoothly in that without any clutch wear. However, when it is necessary to go slower than that, is it in fact better to stop the car, wait and then move forwards to fill the gap rather than depress the brake slightly to keep the car moving with the slow traffic? Presumably this does not "ride the clutch" and wear it out? Or can someone please enlighten me ...

I am used to a slushbox auto that can creep along slowly while depressing the brake without wearing anything out except the fossil fuel reserves.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: maximise life of dsg
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2018, 10:05 »
The way I understand it, the dsg clutch is either clamped or free, ie. no slip. The gearbox ecu won’t allow anything that could cause damage to happen, anyway, so you can drive how you need to.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2018, 10:10 »
Most important is to keep the fluid changes on schedule. As said the gearbox will protect itself from user abuse from mistakes. However let it warm up before giving it any grief and don't launch hard from a standstill or it will wear, there is no getting away from it.

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2018, 21:54 »
'Creeping' on DSG will not cause any excessive wear and tear, as above the gearbox will look after itself pretty much no matter what you throw at it or how much abuse you give it within reason, unless your heavily riding brake pedal/accelerating etc which is most unlikely you won't have an issue.

Also worth noting GTI 7.5 Performance 7 Speed DSG do not require DSG oil/filter change as part of routine maintenance schedule they are a sealed unit.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2018, 06:44 »
Wouldn’t trust not changing oil in a DSG box, sealed or not. BMW also do a sealed for life gear box but any enthusiast will tell you to get the oil changed.
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2018, 21:28 »
Our main dealer told us to treat it as a manual......knock it into neutral at traffic lights etc

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2018, 22:33 »
VW also say that the Haldex filters doesn't need cleaning, only oil changes... this is wrong and most need a good clean by 20k miles
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2018, 07:25 »
Our main dealer told us to treat it as a manual......knock it into neutral at traffic lights etc

Let's see, who do I trust, dealer or manual (that book in the glovebox).
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2018, 14:37 »

:grin: :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2018, 16:29 »
Also worth noting GTI 7.5 Performance 7 Speed DSG do not require DSG oil/filter change as part of routine maintenance schedule they are a sealed unit.

Where can I find out more information on the GTI 7.5 Performance 7 Speed DSG please? I had heard that it is a wet clutch box, it's new design and different from the 7 speed fitted to less powerful cars. Is this true?