Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 7208 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2018, 14:33 »
I struggle to see why people would spend that sort of money on a Golf, albeit a very nice Golf. That sort of money would buy something like a pretty decent 5 series for example. I know they are polar opposites, but I would rather a little more substance for my money.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2018, 16:20 »
I'm not sure the OP has the faintest idea, what he needs/wants. Plenty of advice given, very little response, unless I've missed it?
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2018, 17:22 »
I really don’t know what I want to do...hence the original post I suppose.

Humour can be lost in wordy statements and emoticons display differently depending on the computing platform used so I unreservedly apologise for any offence taken. None was intended.

I don’t actually need two cars anymore, but the prospect of running a 5 year old car (which tohe Golf will be in October) as my only vehicle seems a bit risky...am I wrong?

I would not want a car much larger than a Golf. Might consider a 3 series sized car (but not a 3 series unless AWD) - and it must be a hatch or estate. On balance not a 3 series as it is an end of life model. I don’t like the C class so I suppose that only leaves the Passat or A4/S4.

A dealer ex-demo? I admit I hadn’t considered this option although I have purchased two cars like this previously and neither succumbed to any long term maladies due to their previous use of misuse.

We are in a transition period and ideally I would like the electric solution to be more resolved. I could not own a car that would be unable to do about 250 miles without the use of a public charging point. The GTE/E-Tron solution doesn’t quite cut it for me - nor a BMW i3 Rex. I suppose the complexity of the hybrid drivetrain puts me off and the current electric only cars don’t go far enough unless I buy a larger-than-wanted Tesla.

I also prefer a dual clutch gearbox but would at least try an alternative gearbox. I bought a MINI Countryman CS All4 in 2011 and really disliked the torque converter auto.

I suppose I still want a hot hatch and the Golf is so close to that ideal that it still has a great appeal in 7.5 format. A Golf GTi or R is still my favourite purchase TBH. I think I may be able reconcile the “VED hit” over time and choose the R.

A six month lead time for a factory order is something I have experienced before so if I don’t order something in the next couple of months an October delivery could be compromised.

GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2018, 17:35 »
Moro - I can't see any risk at running a 5 year old car and yours sounds like exactly the right one to do it with being likely very well looked after and such low mileage. Given the spec, I'm assuming it was exactly what you wanted when you bought it? You could always mitigate some risk with two years worth of either VW or another good warranty and enjoy your GTI as your only car whilst seeing what comes of a MK8 R.

Otherwise, if you fancy going for a new R now just because you can, then why not? Sounds good to me! Sod the extra VED, I get where you are coming from and feel the same way but ultimately I wouldn't let that get between me and something I really want, life's too short. I totally agree with your comments re GTE and electric cars, not for me either.

But no matter what you decide, and nothing personal, get rid of the Citroen whilst it's still working :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2018, 18:47 »
I've kept plenty of car way past the expiry of their warranties and never given it a thought. Sure, I've had things go wrong with one or two, but that's to be expected. I reckoned if it cost me £1000 a year in servicing and repairs, that was far cheaper than buying a new car and suffering the depreciation all over again.

Considering that your GTI sounds like a well looked after example, I'd be tempted to enjoy it for a while longer. In another couple of years, technology will have moved on further and you may well be able to buy into that, rather than a getting to the end of the line model Golf if you bought one now.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 01 February 2018, 19:02 »
I've kept plenty of car way past the expiry of their warranties and never given it a thought. Sure, I've had things go wrong with one or two, but that's to be expected. I reckoned if it cost me £1000 a year in servicing and repairs, that was far cheaper than buying a new car and suffering the depreciation all over again.

Considering that your GTI sounds like a well looked after example, I'd be tempted to enjoy it for a while longer. In another couple of years, technology will have moved on further and you may well be able to buy into that, rather than a getting to the end of the line model Golf if you bought one now.

It's been a while since your Mk2 was in warranty  :laugh:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 01 February 2018, 20:45 »
...and that was faultless over the 80 miles it did last year.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 01 February 2018, 20:53 »
...and that was faultless over the 80 miles it did last year.

What a waste, if I had it I would have covered at least 500 miles.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 01 February 2018, 20:59 »
Since getting my Amarok, I've not wanted to drive anything else. That's just ace. The best 'car' I've had in 31 years.

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2018, 17:49 »
Thanks for all your suggestions. Some are quite novel; I appreciate them all.

Most recently I have tended to look into different types of cars to replace the Citroen rather than amalgamating my current two cars into one.

A VW Amarok? I do like the idea but they are rather expensive as my second car and a bit too big TBH.

As a result of this suggestion I did then look into the VW Caddy but it is pre-MQB technology, although it does offer optional adaptive cruise control.

I am beginning to tend toward keeping the GTi and selling the Citroen and purchasing a full electric car - which I realise will have a limited range but then I will still have the use of the Golf too. The electric car will probably be leased with an intention of handing it back after a few years. A Hyundai Ionic Premium SE seems reasonably equipped. The range is adequate as my second car and they come with a 5 year warranty as standard.

Not exactly what I had originally thought of doing and I may yet still change my mind...

I still welcome your suggestions. My heart still yearns after a really fast hatch, but my head is currently sold on the idea of keeping the GTi until I can see what the Mk8 will offer.

GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera