Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
What would you do?
« on: 28 January 2018, 14:53 »
I retired a couple of years ago (but I am under 60yo) and have 2 cars - a 2013 Golf GTi and a 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus Flair 110 - both purchased new, each loaded with options. The Golf was bought with a 5 year warranty, the Cactus warranty expires in March; the Golf one runs until October.

I don’t really need two cars anymore as I now do about 8k miles every year in total...but I do want to own a car which achieves 0-60 in less than 9 seconds - my manual Cactus manages this for your information.

The Citroen has been VERY unreliable, but has performed faultlessly for the past 8 months...not a great recommendation I know...

So...

I can justify spending £40k on another vehicle; however, I will want enough options to mean a Golf R will exceed this on list price, even if not on actual transaction cost. I am unhappy to be trousered on the VED by HMRC.

I can spend up to £50k but require hatchback practicality...Audi RS3 anyone?

So I think my options are either to keep this pair of cars, or sell them both to buy a Golf GTi PP DSG with Art Velours (I need to justify it being different enough from my current car) and pano roof and other stuff...or?

I know the Cactus has a poor residual, and I can accept this but I cannot find a replacement with a dual clutch gearbox and acceleration of  0-60 in under 9 seconds...in a car of a similar size.

The up! GTi would be good (if a little small) if it were only available with a DSG gearbox; a Polo GTi is a bit too dear (with options) and other similar MQB0 VAG products seem to fail on some condition or other...so over to you guys...
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2018, 15:23 »
Sell the Citroen, keep the Golf, save the money for a Mk8 GTi in a couple of years.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2018, 15:42 »
I retired a couple of years ago (but I am under 60yo) and have 2 cars - a 2013 Golf GTi and a 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus Flair 110 - both purchased new, each loaded with options. The Golf was bought with a 5 year warranty, the Cactus warranty expires in March; the Golf one runs until October.

I don’t really need two cars anymore as I now do about 8k miles every year in total...but I do want to own a car which achieves 0-60 in less than 9 seconds - my manual Cactus manages this for your information.

The Citroen has been VERY unreliable, but has performed faultlessly for the past 8 months...not a great recommendation I know...

So...

I can justify spending £40k on another vehicle; however, I will want enough options to mean a Golf R will exceed this on list price, even if not on actual transaction cost. I am unhappy to be trousered on the VED by HMRC.

I can spend up to £50k but require hatchback practicality...Audi RS3 anyone?

So I think my options are either to keep this pair of cars, or sell them both to buy a Golf GTi PP DSG with Art Velours (I need to justify it being different enough from my current car) and pano roof and other stuff...or?

I know the Cactus has a poor residual, and I can accept this but I cannot find a replacement with a dual clutch gearbox and acceleration of  0-60 in under 9 seconds...in a car of a similar size.

The up! GTi would be good (if a little small) if it were only available with a DSG gearbox; a Polo GTi is a bit too dear (with options) and other similar MQB0 VAG products seem to fail on some condition or other...so over to you guys...

Check below the spec of my R 7.5 that set me back only £31500 OTR! Whatever spec you go for you'll struggle to spend £40K unless you are lazy and don't do some groundwork.
I'm over 70 btw.
Mind you, not everyone's cup of tea as so bloody fast and thirsty. If that matters a GTI your best bet.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2018, 15:49 »
What options are so important to you Moro?
It's the options that lose you the money, what can't you live without (aside from DSG)?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2018, 16:14 »
Sell the Citroen, keep the Golf, save the money for a Mk8 GTi in a couple of years.

Great advice!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2018, 16:26 »

Great advice!

Yep, I think the same. Ditch the Citroën now before it costs you any more money. I'd hang onto the Golf for now, or at least until the warranty runs out.
7.5 GTD

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2018, 16:52 »

Great advice!

2nd that advice although burning the sh!tron would be a close second choice for me.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2018, 18:53 »
Check below the spec of my R 7.5 that set me back only £31500 OTR!

I don't think the OP is talking about 40k being a cash problem, more a VED one.

New vehicles with a RRP (RRP not ticket price) attract an unattractive extra road tax.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2018, 15:42 »
I thought I’d let the dust settle before posting again...

Yes, I am opposed to the VED increase for 5 years on cars with a list price of over £40k (and yes I know it is pennies in the scheme of things, but I have a particular hatred of taxes due to HMRC issues) so that is niggling me, but I may concess this in time. I know I would strike a “good enough” deal to purchase my ideal R at way less than £40k transaction cost.

I have a big spec on my current GTi (see below) but have already kept it for nearly 4 and a half years now so don’t feel I have “wasted” money on any of the options I chose. Opened the pano sunroof on a trip today, and love the stereo and big display - more so than the performance if I am honest. This car is quite quick enough for today’s roads but I do NOT rule out owning another fast car “one last time”. I bought several over 300BHP cars in the 1990s, most 4wd but noe was rwd. Possibly wouldn’t bother with a reversing camera again, but I would choose Adaptive Chassis, Keyless, extended warranty, service plan, Panoramic Roof, upgrade stereo - and possibly the biggest display screen too, but not sure that is necessary with the size of the new display - even in my world. Together with an optional paint finish, leather (I do not like standard R interior) and DSG the list price on a 5 door would exceed £40k.

In reality I only need one car for my use now.

There were no surprises in your comments regarding my Citroen...

I had not considered waiting it out for a Mk8 but that may well be a good idea for me. For information, my 2013 GTi is still showing under 16k miles so should have some useful life left in it, and I do have reservations about buying a car towards the end of its production cycle.

GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2018, 20:14 »
Does the sh!troen have GAP insurance?

I've got a can of petrol :laugh:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17