Author Topic: What do you find annoying about your Mark 7?  (Read 17596 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: What do you find annoying about your Mark 7?
« Reply #60 on: 11 December 2017, 18:33 »
I find the controls for heating the wing mirrors are poorly thought out.  You have to turn the dial to switch heating on then turn it back to L when finished otherwise the mirror doesn’t dip on reverse (I always forget to do this).  A simple push button (or press of the little joystick) would have been better. Switch the heating on for five mins and then auto switch it off.

I was playing with VCDS in my Amarok and found that I could set the heated mirrors to come on with the rear window heater. My cable is not compatible with MQB cars, so I couldn't try it on the Golf. It has however made the mirror heating switch redundant as it no longer works with this coding change done.

Interesting find, where did you find it in VCDS? I'll have a look tomorrow with my OBDeleven see if I can replicate it in the Golf.

In for info - obdeleven pro ordered!!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 11 December 2017, 18:39 »
I think it was in Central Electrics. I'll confirm tomorrow as I have some more coding to do.

Nice one, cheers.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 11 December 2017, 18:40 »
I find the controls for heating the wing mirrors are poorly thought out.  You have to turn the dial to switch heating on then turn it back to L when finished otherwise the mirror doesn’t dip on reverse (I always forget to do this).  A simple push button (or press of the little joystick) would have been better. Switch the heating on for five mins and then auto switch it off.

I was playing with VCDS in my Amarok and found that I could set the heated mirrors to come on with the rear window heater. My cable is not compatible with MQB cars, so I couldn't try it on the Golf. It has however made the mirror heating switch redundant as it no longer works with this coding change done.

Interesting find, where did you find it in VCDS? I'll have a look tomorrow with my OBDeleven see if I can replicate it in the Golf.

In for info - obdeleven pro ordered!!

Good man Graham
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 11 December 2017, 19:12 »

as central electronics long coding is all 0’s in the MQB that coding is not there

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 11 December 2017, 19:43 »
It is a genuine lead. HEX+CAN bought for my Mk6 Golf and B7 Passat about 5 years ago. I tried it on the Mk7 and the only thing I could access was dial staging. I've now got the latest software, but not tried it on that car in ages.

My cable was older & worked fine.....but I always updated the software to the latest release before going near the car....& you defo need the newer software..the older stuff doesn't work well on the newer electrics & not just the MK7....

Offline gillan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #65 on: 11 December 2017, 20:01 »
the start /stopping of the engine when you stop at a junction or traffic light does my nut in.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #66 on: 11 December 2017, 21:35 »
the start /stopping of the engine when you stop at a junction or traffic light does my nut in.

There should be a switch to over-ride the Stop/Start system.  You just need to remember to press it every time you start the car. 

Look for the switch with an "A" and a circular arrow.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #67 on: 12 December 2017, 07:58 »

I take it you have DSG? It seems DSG owners complain for some reason. On a manual car, its not a problem.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 12 December 2017, 08:48 »

There should be a switch to over-ride the Stop/Start system.  You just need to remember to press it every time you start the car. 

Look for the switch with an "A" and a circular arrow.

Or get one of these https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/diagnostic-tools/kufatec-diagnostic-coding-dongle/volkswagen-audi/coding-interface-disable-start-stop
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 12 December 2017, 09:49 »
Shame there isn’t a option in vcds/obdeleven to make the stop start have a memory, or swap it to the other way round like in some Audi’s, Ive not turned it off personally due to the fact I sometimes use it