Author Topic: S3 to Clubsport?  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: S3 to Clubsport?
« Reply #30 on: 03 December 2017, 11:11 »
I've never tried an S3 but went from an R to a Clubsport like a few others here, just that I did it in a more convoluted way.

A lot of it depends on how much you use the car and what you use it for.
I'd think the Clubsport would be a lot more fun on track and it certainly looks the part but as a road car I've got to say the Clubsport springs are quite harsh on 19" wheels without DCC where as my R was just as comfy on 19's as with 18's.
Then there is the traction issue if you drive the car a lot. It's not as bad as people would have you believe owing to the VAQ diff fitted to the Clubsport which really improves traction and grip almost eliminating understeer in most situations. It's only from a standing start with both wheels pointing straight ahead that the quattro will completely annihilate the 2wd GTI. Add in DSG and it's just playstation stuff anyway with all driver skill eliminated. It depends on how you get your thrills.
I think as a daily driver I'd probably prefer to be in an R or S3 but the Clubsport has a special feel and a sense of occasion missing from a lot of the other VW group sporty stuff below RS level.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 03 December 2017, 14:30 »
Exonian, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It was also seeing your car that started the cogs turning!  For me the Clubsport is a special car, as Gti’s are, but the ride is a little harsh for me and it’s not as good as a daily driver. They look amazing though. The S3 is a much under appreciated car in my opinion, possibly because of how good the R is.
I’ve decided to leave the Clubsport and test drive an R instead. Think my general love for the Gti as an icon was clouding my judgement.
Great advice on the forum as always everyone. Thanks!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 03 December 2017, 14:53 »
I very seriously considered swapping from my R to a used Clubsport last summer.
Exonian gave me plenty of advice just like above to ponder at the time ;)

In the end I decided very reluctantly to let it pass. I felt that I would miss the R for its “daily” driver practically too much. The CS had “those seats” too which I love but I also felt they might annoy me from a practicality perspective. Boring I know.

On reflection I’m glad I didn’t. I was getting a pretty poor deal on the trade in too. I now have a FL R on order for the new year and getting a far better deal than I was getting on the CS.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 03 December 2017, 15:30 »
Again very similar to my thoughts. Seats are just sublime but not as practical. Clubsport will be amazing as a long term car, great on B roads, got the wow factor and will probably hold its value quite well. However, when I put my foot down on the test drive there was a fair amount on wheel spin and it was fairly dry. You just take the Quattro for granted I suppose. Car was also 28k with discount which is new R money. On board tech also felt a little old fashioned compared to the stuff around at the moment.

Think because the car was a limited edition it felt like a now or never moment. Edition 45 anyone??  :grin:

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #34 on: 03 December 2017, 20:43 »
Re seats, how do people mean practical? Comfortable and ergonomic or not needing to worry about maintenance? Because if its the former the Clubsport buckets are probably the most comfortable seat I've sat to in a long time, they totally destroy any bucket prejudice about a hard and tiring seat. They are so good that getting on a couple of loaners during services (a last-gen VW Polo and a Skoda Octavia MK3) I just couldn't find as a comfortable position as in my car and got temporary lower back pain.

If it's the latter it's true that you need to think about who you sit in the back seats as the piano black plastic will not tolerate much abuse but I think there are ways of protection in that case.

PS. With DCC, I think the ride would be more forgiving. On 18" at least, it never becomes "aftermarket" crashy or tiring and only the really worst kind of potholes will send a noticeable "shock", for the most time everything is filtered quite nice considering the case. Despite being more focused than a regular GTI, you can tell that the ride is rather set up for the road and not for the track. It's a clearly more compliant setup than a H&R sport springs & Bilstein B8 combo on my last car which was not exactly race hardcore. Maybe that's a useful reference to some.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2017, 20:45 by scanesare »

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 03 December 2017, 20:56 »
Yes, as I said I love the look of the buckets, but I feared that for a daily driver where I have a child and all sorts in and out of it, they could become annoying. Maybe a few years ago, sans kids and responsibilities I’d have been less hesitant.

The piano black backs - would do my nut in trying to keep nice..., no seat back pockets, no underseat drawers. Not to mention all the other stuff you lose - armrest, ambient lights, keyless (I know I know, many say this is pointless but I’m used to having it and not having it would irritate) and loads of people seem to moan about them creaking and rattling.

The comments re suspension are interesting. I think my R on 19’s is more compliant than my old GTI was on 18’s. Neither have / had DCC. With the roads arobus where I live, a crashy ride would get old very very quickly.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 03 December 2017, 21:02 »
The bucket seats are exceptionally comfortable. The issue for me was they will mark v easily with kids and they appeared to use up a little more of the rear passenger space. I might be wrong. Best seats I’ve ever sat in in a car though. Make the Audi super sports seats seem very poor indeed.

As for the ride, I found it a little harsh for my liking. I’ve had numerous Gti’s on 19s which weren’t as hard from what I remember.

If anyone is interested, one of the cars I looked at is still available I believe. Clitheroe Honda. Yes, Honda!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 04 December 2017, 11:10 »
I found the bucket seats very comfortable once I was sitting in them. Getting in and out was a different thing though.

My sister had the back of hers protected with PPF when she was getting the front of the car done.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 04 December 2017, 23:45 »
I had an RS for about 2 Years and even though it was lightening quick it was so very boring in comparison to the CSS ...