Author Topic: How accurate is the fuel guage?  (Read 6876 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: How accurate is the fuel guage?
« Reply #40 on: 29 August 2017, 22:41 »
Are you sure you didn't spill some of the petrol on your shoes? (Kidding).

I filled up this morning. An R with supposedly the larger 55l tank. Range said I had 20kms (~15 miles) left. I only managed to squeeze 51l into it.

Tbh I'd suggest focusing on something else, and just fill up when the light comes on like 99.99% of us do.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 29 August 2017, 22:59 »
I just fill to the first click of the pump most of the time but then I am using the dreaded derv pump :grin:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 29 August 2017, 23:09 »
Daz has your local Sainsbury's pumps been checked recently for correct calibration? They could be delivering the incorrect amount of fuel. Does the same thing happen at other stations?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #43 on: 29 August 2017, 23:38 »
Are you sure you didn't spill some of the petrol on your shoes? (Kidding).

I filled up this morning. An R with supposedly the larger 55l tank. Range said I had 20kms (~15 miles) left. I only managed to squeeze 51l into it.
Er, no. Though there had been a big spill at the pump just behind me. It was blocked with cones and there was sand everywhere.

If your R said 20km that's 12.5 miles. The R does 6-7 miles to a litre driven sensibly. That means your car would say 0 miles remain at 53L. I used to have a 55L tank and on a couple of occasions managed to put 57L into it. :whistle: So even at 0 miles remaining you should still be able to drive for say 4x6=24miles or roughly 40km extra reserve. This is just in theory of course.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 29 August 2017, 23:41 »
I just fill to the first click of the pump most of the time but then I am using the dreaded derv pump :grin:
It is really difficult to fill to the neck with the mis-fuel device on the A3. I gave up trying, but usually give it a couple of clicks.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 29 August 2017, 23:51 »
Daz has your local Sainsbury's pumps been checked recently for correct calibration? They could be delivering the incorrect amount of fuel. Does the same thing happen at other stations?
There was a sticker that said "independently tested by..." and I remember thinking the date was not long ago.

This is the first time I have completely filled up this car. It's only 3 weeks old.

Another factor may have been sitting in bumper-to-bumper bank holiday weekend traffic not long before. That could have caused more fuel to be used than the computer calculated. :undecided:

I will certainly be more careful next time.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2017, 23:53 by Daz Auto »

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 02 September 2017, 00:52 »
Oops I did it again :embarrassed:

Before you lot start ridiculing me again - it was not intentional.

Got the warning - 35 miles remaining. My journey was 30 miles. However, I had a message to do close to the petrol station and got delayed. So by the time I arrived the place had shut - 5 miles remaining. The next station was shut too. Car now reading 0 miles remaining. Drove 2 miles to a station I knew would be open. Filled the car to the brim. This time the tank took 53.44L.

This time I noticed that Active Info Display, digital fuel gauge, red warning area has 3 segments. The car was showing 0 miles remaining with 1 segment left. I didn't think that VW would have a car without an extra fuel reserve. That red segment has to be the extra fuel reserve.

I'm beginning to think my GTI actually has a 55L fuel tank. :huh:

Oh, and the odometer said 411 miles this time. So my fuel economy was 35mpg.

« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 08:06 by Daz Auto »