Author Topic: RIP GTD, GTI, R :(  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Excession_OCP

• Not said much yet
RIP GTD, GTI, R :(
« on: 26 July 2017, 07:58 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Really not sure what to think about this!  I assume the powers that be know that all this electricity that's going to need to be produced also causes pollution?

I was looking forward to being like my father  (who at 75 has just bought a new MX-5) and growing old disgracefully by rocking up to a VW dealership and dropping £65k (to account for inflation  :grin:) on a mk11 R PP.  Sadly this is now no longer likely to happen...

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
Re: RIP GTD, GTI, R :(
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2017, 09:58 »
As one of the older generation, seen it, heard it.
Diesel was the answer, now it isn't.
There are 23 years for the Government/powers that be to do umpteen U turns before this is to occur.
I have had 7 GTI's over the years and ordered a Mk 7.5 yesterday, never had anything but a petrol engine in a car and, if I can achieve it, never will .
Read a very interesting article in the motoring press a few weeks ago, but now cannot find the source. Basically a learned gentleman with knowledge of power quotas and the national grid reported average time at a petrol station pump was 3 minutes. He stated that even with improvements to vehicle charging rates he couldn't see charging at stations beating 30 minutes, thus stations would have to increase the number of charging points substantially. He concluded by stating that he believed the UK would have to build another eight power stations to cope with the demand.
While other people may wish to go Diesel, Electric or Hybrid, and I respect their choice, it will always be petrol for me.
How about giving me a choice also Mr Government.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: RIP GTD, GTI, R :(
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2017, 09:29 »
Didn't they say about a year ago that we would all be in self driving electric cars in the next 10 years and no-one would actually own a car anymore ...? Seems like a great idea putting power over transport into the hands of a couple of massive corporations..

Anyway, I think this latest news is a classic 'put the date approx 20 years into the future as seems attainable, but plenty of room for manoeuver'

It'll happen one day, but not in 2040

I'm looking forward to picking up a cheap Tdi soon though :)