Author Topic: Gearbox swap  (Read 2879 times)

Offline K99YLR

• Just got here
Gearbox swap
« on: 21 March 2017, 10:11 »
Hi everyone new to this forum and i was needing some advice.
I have got a 2011 mk6 golf gti manual and i was wondering if the gearbox from an Edition 35 would have the same belhousing layout for swapping boxes. I am aware that the engines are totally different but not sure how different on gearbox side.
Just curious as i am aware that my current mk6 gti doesn't come standard with a LSD and the Edition 35 does.
Hope someone can help me out cheers,
Kyle

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Gearbox swap
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2017, 13:37 »
Welcome  :smiley:

If it's an LSD you are after then it would be quicker / cheaper to simply get one installed into your current car  :smiley:

If you were to install a 2nd hand box you have no way of knowing how much longer it may last........

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2017, 21:39 »
Would the gear ratios be the same ?
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2017, 02:17 »
Hi everyone new to this forum and i was needing some advice.
I have got a 2011 mk6 golf gti manual and i was wondering if the gearbox from an Edition 35 would have the same belhousing layout for swapping boxes. I am aware that the engines are totally different but not sure how different on gearbox side.
Just curious as i am aware that my current mk6 gti doesn't come standard with a LSD and the Edition 35 does.
Hope someone can help me out cheers,
Kyle

Where have you had LSD from as no VAG uses that? Check your data sticker on the first page of the service schedule. The other half of that sticker is on the boot floor next to the spare wheel well.

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.