Author Topic: Temperature issue  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Leemk

• Just got here
Temperature issue
« on: 16 December 2016, 18:53 »
Help please!! Have a little issue I was driving along and my temperature gauge shot up and temperature/coolant light came on, so I stop turned car off checked levels ect and all ok then on again and no light and gauge was bang on?? Got the car home left it for a few hours so car was stone cold started car up and temperature went straight to 90, so turned it off and on again and temperature shot up to 120. (Car never smelt hot and wasn't boiling coolant but notice a hissing noise when I turned car off)
Left the car for a day got a mobile mechanic out and the car run fine temp was at 0 but got to dark and didn't have time to warm up to see if it happens again.
Thanks in advance

Offline Leemk

• Just got here
Re: Temperature issue
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2016, 18:57 »
1.8t btw

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2016, 22:54 »
check your thermostat...it may be opening too late now.....:) :cry: they tend to do that after they get really old...not all of them stick to the on position...is the bottom hose cold when the car heats up? then you can try this...take the thermostat out and see if the car overheats...check the thermostat in a pot of almost boiling water and a thermometer..see if it opens late.....change the thermostat if that is the problem and you will be on your way...:)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2016, 09:00 »
Sounds like thermostats not opening at all. When romoving the 10mm bolts holding the thermostat on be carefull not to drop them behind the alternator.
I find it easier to remove inlet manifold to get the thermostat out. Some remve the alternator

Offline Leemk

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2016, 09:20 »
Thanks guys, il give that a go hopefully that sorts it

Offline Leemk

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2016, 12:11 »
Could it be the water pump on its way out?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2016, 14:08 »
If its water pump you can check by taking expansion cap lid of and checking for circulation. If its still water then thats your problem

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2016, 17:31 »
Is this your mk3 Golf?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles