Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 30452 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2015, 22:49 »
Honest question here, what's the advantage of having a garmin doofler over a mobile running strava?

Not used Strava, so can't compare but reason we opted for Garmin Edge (apart from it having all the desired features) was we knew it would sync seemlessly with the garmin heart monitor we already had.  It may have changed but there were difficulties using garmin heart monitor with Strava, I think there was an adaptor you could get but unreliable and the support was not continued, something like that?  Plus we already owned the Garmin Forerunner 610 running/cycling watch and foot pod, so were already familiar with the interface.  The Foreunner still useful for running but never use the cycling option since getting dedicated Edge cycle computer. It's just not as good, the touch screen is really awkward even for slim fingers.  But the Edge is excellent.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2015, 08:22 »
Honest question here, what's the advantage of having a garmin doofler over a mobile running strava?
it kills your mobile battery if you have strava running continually
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2015, 11:43 »
The garmin comes with heart monitor and cadence sensor, but the biggest draw its got a massive battery life compared to a smart phone. But if non of those are a concern then there is nothing wrong with just using the app :)

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2015, 11:44 »
I thought the Shropshire Hills was just the one 100K route. There is another ride from Ludlow in October that has a choice of distances as that starts and finishes at the racecourse.

I know theres 2 different ones with similar names, the one i refer to is run start to finish from Bridgenorth high town and there are 3 different routes :)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2015, 15:35 »
When is that? I've not seen it on the British Cycling website.

I rode over to Bridgnorth last weekend then over Burwarton to Ludlow then back home.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2015, 17:32 »
The garmin comes with heart monitor and cadence sensor, but the biggest draw its got a massive battery life compared to a smart phone. But if non of those are a concern then there is nothing wrong with just using the app :)

True, if those things are irrelevant and it does the job, then all well and good and money saved  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2015, 18:23 »
When is that? I've not seen it on the British Cycling website.

I rode over to Bridgnorth last weekend then over Burwarton to Ludlow then back home.

organised by these guys
http://www.mamilcycling.co.uk/

July 5th  :smiley:

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2015, 18:26 »
This is me on strava https://app.strava.com/athletes/2840484 Could always do with a few buddies, make my activity feed look a little less empty  :grin:

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #28 on: 16 February 2015, 09:49 »

True, if those things are irrelevant and it does the job, then all well and good and money saved  :cool:

Ah, I run a Galaxy note 2 so can quite happily run Strava for 6 hours and still have 50% battery - guess I'm taking this for granted. Would be interesting to monitor cadence but probally not worth £100 to do so  :grin:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 16 February 2015, 12:38 »
Do you need a data connection to run Strava?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.