Author Topic: Clutch slipping  (Read 20842 times)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Re: Clutch slipping
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2015, 19:47 »
I have an appointment with Clive Atthowe on Saturday to get it looked at. The man is a genius and luckily my revo dealer. Been out and about today and haven't managed to get any slip at all. I'm confused....
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2015, 21:20 »
I have an appointment with Clive Atthowe on Saturday to get it looked at. The man is a genius and luckily my revo dealer. Been out and about today and haven't managed to get any slip at all. I'm confused....

Definitely not a momentary lack of traction that is over so soon the dash doesn't light up? Slippage only happening in the wet or cold?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2015, 23:16 »

+1 on Clive Atthowe. Really knowledgeable guy. Diagnosed and fixed a problem on a previous (non-VW) car I owned some years ago that the main dealer had a number of attempts at fixing without success.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2015, 09:10 »
Rob, if it smells bad it's your clutch. I've never known why they have to smell so bad but they do, suggest you go complain to your dear if you're unmapped
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 22 January 2015, 12:10 »
Interesting topic this...

I've thought for a while there might be something up with my clutch. Then tonight while reversing on my drive (bit of snow as well), i did everything as normal and the car revved pretty high but pretty much didnt move and i got a horrible smell. Is this not clutch slip (cant be s**t driving, theres no incline to reverse up)?

Only done 6000 miles and they have been mostly B roads 50-60mph so not much clutch action.

Never gone through a clutch before or had this happen.

There’s been a few people with stock Rs that have cooked their clutches. VW longevity doesn’t seem up to its usual standards for all affected.  Hopefully the inclusion of autohold on the MK7s will have VW unable to accuse you of causing it by riding the clutch at junctions etc.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2015, 13:14 by monkeyhanger »

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 22 January 2015, 13:07 »
Cheers guys, got it booked in Monday at the dealers to be looked at along with a buzzing sound around 3000rpm in sport mode (assuming this is sound acktuator).

Glad I held off modifying it...
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 22 January 2015, 23:13 »
Had mine looked at today by Clive, turns out it is my clutch slipping at the peak torque at 2200rpm under maximum load in 5th and 6th.....yay!

Soooo, I have called VW and got a quote...£1480 fitted. Barton given its 9months old and only had the revo map a week. I truly truly hate the car...worst car I have ever owned.
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2015, 23:27 »
Well I am sorry to hear that mate, can't you remove the map completely and then try to get some sort of good will out of vw or can you not recreate it standard? If not suggest you stick 95 Ron in and wait for decent aftermarket ones to come out, at less than £1500 anyway.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2015, 23:35 »
Clive is looking into a price for me. He did say with how infrequent it is, even with the map on it should hold a long time, as long as I change down rather than lazy drive using the low down torque. VW want £580 for diagnostics to take it apart to check if it's a warranty issue. If its not and I get the clutch fitted whilst it's apart then it's £1480 if I don't then I have wasted £580 in diagnostic time. They just take the piss.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2015, 07:47 »
As soon as you've done 10k miles, if there's nothing abnormal found when they open it up (debris etc) and it just looks worn, they can (and probably will) claim "wear and wear", although I think people should expect a minimum of 70k miles from a clutch running stock power if they're not riding the clutch at junctions and being savage on their gear changes all the time (OK, Remlapeel's isn't stock, but a few on stock have had theirs go).

For Remlapeel's to go so soon it would seem that his was built to a "just enough" tolerance if he hasn't been extremely unlucky.

Haven't heard of a single GTDer yet who's cooked their clutch - with or without modification.

Any quotes for an uprated clutch fitted elsewhere Remlapeel?