Author Topic: HOW TO: Replace broken door lock paddle (common mk3 problem)  (Read 28361 times)

Offline murraymint

• I live here
Right been told this is a common problem but i couldn't find a guide, it's a fairly easy job but I thought I'd make a guide incase your not sure about messing around with your locks.

to fix this youll need a repair kit like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-DOOR-LOCK-REPAIR-PADDLE-FRONT-LEFT-RIGHT-/250854050337?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a68110a21#ht_1680wt_856

And a Torx bit, not sure which size.

Firstly you have to undo this bolt and take it out

(the one thats level with the door handle)

Once you've taken the bolt out, slide the door handle forward like so

Then pull the handle out from that back of the handle (where the lock is). With a little wiggle it should just pull straight out.

Now you should be faced with something like this

(broken lock next to replacement part)

As you can see mine has snapped at the little hook at the end. Now you will need to remove the old broken part ( please note that, I've bin told that when the paddle is removed the locking barrel could fall out so make sure you hold it in place, it didn't happen to me ( you could put a bit of tape over it to stop this)).

Once you have the old part out, put the new spring on the end of the new paddle, pull the spring back and hook the new paddle onto the lock, it should look it this

To put back on the car it's the reverse of the removel, it might need a bit of wiggling to get the paddle into the hole. It when it's in you'll feel it. The try the lock just to be sure it works.

If your unsure what it should look like fixed you could remove the passenger handle and have a look at that as its the same as the drivers side (I swapped the handles over so I could open the car from the drivers side until my replacement part came)

Happy dubbing  :smiley:

josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Mikehamid

• GTI forum regular
Re: HOW TO: Replace broken door lock paddle (common mk3 problem)
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2012, 21:07 »
Nice one man. Cheers for putting this guide up! Will give it a try as soon as I can  :smiley:

Twitter - @MikeArmstrong11

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2012, 21:13 »
stiiicckkied
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2012, 21:36 »
Nice one man. Cheers for putting this guide up! Will give it a try as soon as I can  :smiley:

No worries bud

stiiicckkied

Cheers :afro:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline tinarush

• Just got here
hi i have just bought a mk4 golf gti and i have the same problem with the driver door lock. will this also work fot the mk4? please help i go back to work on friday and need my car to lock pmsl.

really appreciated

thanks  :grin: :smiley: :undecided:
tina rush

Offline murraymint

• I live here
I have no idea sorry bud, best off asking in the mk4 section
josh