Author Topic: VW Retrofit towbar on Mk7.5 GTI  (Read 6806 times)

Offline RCMike

• Not said much yet
VW Retrofit towbar on Mk7.5 GTI
« on: 17 September 2018, 09:45 »
Hi All,
I'm considering getting VW to retrofit a detachable towbar to my Mk7.5 GTI PP. The dealer (VW), doesn't actually seem to know who the tow bar manufacturer is, it is apparently just a "VW parts item", so no idea if its Westfalia or Witter or whatever.

Has anybody got VW to retro fit one and if so, do you know what it is and what the carrier looks like when the ball is detached (ie visible or pretty much hidden).

Its not too bad a price for VW to do it and as the car is only 14 months old, it may be easier if VW do it rather than a 3rd party - just thinking warranties etc as it seems they remove quite a lot of the back end to fit (i know a 3rd party may actually take more care doing it).

Anyone with any pics would also be great (but just of a dealer retrofit).

Thanks,
Mike.
On order - 5Dr GTI Performance 245 DSG, Indium Grey, climate windscreen, DCC, Dynaudio.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
Re: VW Retrofit towbar on Mk7.5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2018, 10:02 »
maybe you could pm this chap as he has one..  his was fitted at vw but :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqE5iKI2M9A

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2018, 10:08 »
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/towbars-volkswagen/vw-golf-tow-bars/tow-bars-for-vw-golf-hatchback/vw-golf-vii-towbars-2012-2017.html

Anyone can fit a towbar, it's normally just a case of removing the bumper and replacing the crash bar with the new tow bar. It's the wiring that can be a little more involved depending on what you want to use it for.

If you just intend to tow a small trailer or hook on a bike carrier, you only need the lighting wiring. You can use bypass relays to save getting bulb out warnings, but that won't do things like turning the rear parking sensors off.

For caravan towing, it's best to have the full vehicle specific wiring harness. This will give for power for battery charging, running and fridge and the trailers stability control system. The correct coding of with VCDS or similar will activate 'towing mode' when the trailer plug is connected. This turns off the rear sensors, changes the ESP settings and sounds the alarm if the plug is disconnected when the car is locked. This wiring is a little more involved as cables need to be run to the front of the car.

When I had my Passat, I bought the bar and wiring from PF Jones, and got VW to fit it. They charged me £100 plus VAT, but that was 5 years ago.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2018, 10:23 »
My local towing experts told me that to fit a tow bar to a Mk7 Golf meant having to recalibrate the ACC radar... bear that in mind!

Its about 400 quid plus VAT and main dealer only....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline RCMike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2018, 10:53 »
Hi All, Thanks
- its for a small light caravan so full 13 pin electrics required. VW will do the general coding (i'd forgotten about ACC re calibration part of that) and i'd rather they also pulled it apart for the wiring etc. I'd read it was quite involved.

I could go to VW and ask to see (poss a schematic of) the bar they would fit - my main concern is that although detachable (so not the swing out factory fit), i could either be left with an "extra hole in the bumper", or some bits hanging down or the best case if its like the Westfalia one - pretty much hidden where the ball drops out vertically rather than pulling out horizontally.

Sad, but i quite like the way the rear end looks - so wanted to avoid bits "hanging down" as it were (when not towing).
On order - 5Dr GTI Performance 245 DSG, Indium Grey, climate windscreen, DCC, Dynaudio.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2018, 11:00 »
On the Mk7.5 VW have cheaped out and left a big hole in all bumpers where the tow bar would go.... with no blanking plate....

So you've already got a hole in your bumper!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline RCMike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2018, 11:17 »
On the Mk7.5 VW have cheaped out and left a big hole in all bumpers where the tow bar would go.... with no blanking plate....

So you've already got a hole in your bumper!

Hi Fred,
I know, but unless on your knees, close up, you cant really see it. I was more thinking of extra holes that would definitely be visible.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2018, 13:04 »
You shouldn't need the acc recalibrating as the auto level sensors should level everything up. You only need the acc doing if the centre line of the car changes. Would assume this just means major changes to geometry ie after an accident etc.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2018, 17:16 »
I remember reading a pretty in-depth thread on the Australian forum, coz they arnt allowed the factory swing out, but that could’ve been for a Tiguan