Author Topic: Crazing/Stress Cracking of Tail Light Lens  (Read 10822 times)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Crazing/Stress Cracking of Tail Light Lens
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2017, 18:19 »
First glance you think something must have hit the outside bottom corner but as you say, must be internal. Not seen anything like that before!

Yeah that was my immediate thought too but there's no damage or evidence of any contact anywhere on the lens. All the cracks point towards a single place, that being the moulding mark in the last pic. Very very odd!
Just noticed I have the same on our mk2 Audi TT so ordering a new light for it now  :sad:

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2017, 16:54 »
First glance you think something must have hit the outside bottom corner but as you say, must be internal. Not seen anything like that before!

Yeah that was my immediate thought too but there's no damage or evidence of any contact anywhere on the lens. All the cracks point towards a single place, that being the moulding mark in the last pic. Very very odd!
Just noticed I have the same on our mk2 Audi TT so ordering a new light for it now  :sad:

Still got to order mine, been moving house and so been rushed off my feet recently! Any pics of yours Barry? We must've been unlucky with the quality of our tail lights as it's doesn't seem to be a common issue.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2018, 21:21 »
Well, apologies for digging this up, but after over a year I finally have ordered a replacement tail light. New from VW would have been in the region of £170 but found a seller called deutscheparts on eBay selling exactly what I needed. A new, genuine OEM RH outer tail light for £106 which became £95 after a coupon was applied. Result! Should be arriving tomorrow with fitting shortly after!  :smiley:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2018, 16:56 »
Hope you have more luck with the new one
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.