Author Topic: Stealth Shelf and a Nice System  (Read 7977 times)

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
Re: Stealth Shelf and a Nice System
« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2008, 11:35 »
I just got hold of another Sub,a Rockford Fosgate 15 ich Punch,now got to find space to fit it.  :laugh:
Good Advise is something men give when too old to set a bad example

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2008, 12:39 »
sounds cool!

with regards to the boot builds where you build the sub into the side of the boot (using fibreglass, mdf, stuff that sets rock hard (sorry to be so vague!)), would it be worthwhile/possible of putting a 12" sub in each side of the boot facing inwards, or would you say this would 'distort' the sound etc?

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2008, 13:09 »
One each side should be fine,as long as the boxes are good and solid.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2008, 13:45 »
In a Mk 3 you can only really do the nearside! The filler neck and central locking pump on the offside make it impractical for a sub enclosure on that side!

Also you will want to watch the depth of a 12" sub as some are too deep for that postion!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2008, 13:51 »
yeah i noticed that, but i reckon i will do a build in both arches to make it look better and it means i've got somewhere, other than back of seat to house amp. Not sure how fancy it should be, would be nice to build it, so the amp sits flush, but i got a big v12 alpine, so probs not!

I reckon you could get a 12" on the nearside, but putting it on the offside is pushing it. You might have to build it so it sits out more than you like, or try two 10" subs, more kick.

LL ;)

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2008, 14:01 »
A problem with putting it on the offside is going to be getting the right volume isnt it? It would be nice to have them both flush, but obviously if it means the offside 1 is protruding neatly into the bootspace slightly more than wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as long as it's neat.

I'm going to put the amp on the back of the rear bench, but I've read mixed feelings about a power cap. Obviously the logic behind it makes sense, it simply stores a charge so that when/if there is a slight fluctuation then the cap will bring it back up. But is it worth it?

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2008, 14:38 »
Power caps are a waste of money,they put more strain on your charging system than the alleviate. Most amps will empty a 1 Farad cap in less than a second,then your alternator has to recharge it as well as keep a constant voltage supply to the battery,an uprated alternator or split charge system would be much better.

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2008, 15:05 »
or split charge system would be much better.

do you have any links to an example of this? How much of an effect will this have on a normal battery if i turn it up loud without any forms of uprating the power?

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2008, 15:23 »
To be absolutely honest unless you're running a huge build the uprated alternator will be your best bet,my system goes loud enough that you couldn't stay in the car with it and runs from the standard battery and alternator with no light dimming or any other problems.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2008, 15:44 »
I made up a bracket system to mount the amp over O/S arch. You will find there is precious little metalwork that you can attach anything to on that side because of the fuel filler pipe!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk