Author Topic: Buying speakers advise needed please  (Read 7052 times)

Offline wilson

• Here all the time
Buying speakers advise needed please
« on: 28 February 2007, 09:43 »
Hello, I'm looking for a fair base range, without using a sub.   What do I look for when buying speakers that tells me wether they are good bass speakers?

Thanks
Wilson

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Buying speakers advise needed please
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2007, 10:41 »
Low end frequency responnse.

A good bass will get down to at least 40.
Most say something like 25 - 2500
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline rtuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2007, 10:44 »
Hello, I'm looking for a fair base range, without using a sub.   What do I look for when buying speakers that tells me wether they are good bass speakers?

Thanks
Wilson

If your wanting good bass I would always go for a sub if you are wanting to save space maybe look at a 8" sub

WWW.RACETECHUK.COM

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2007, 11:15 »
Well yes a sub and amp are by far the best option but if you dont want to go that route then try some 6 x 9's. Most of them get down to 40.
Or if you can still get Kenwood 7 x 10's they get down to 30.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2007, 18:07 »
I havent had any myself but these are suppose to be rather good

http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/index.asp?page=p-qb69.html&header=p-qb69-h.html&footer=p-qb69-f.html

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2007, 20:22 »
Just because a speaker is rated at a given frequency, it doesn't mean it will be loud at that frquency, so don't rely on those quoted figure when buying speakers.

If you don't want a sub, 6.5 inch comps will drop lower (or be louder lower) that 5 1/4 comps.  6 x 9s also can be bassy, but will not be good for your sound stage (unless you get them in your front doors :grin:)

Offline wilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2007, 06:40 »
My golf has had what was a fairly good system in it before without subs, its got an amp and crossovers built into a false back on the rear seat, its all been done properly with decent connections and all, the front speakers and dash tweeters are decent,  but the 6x9's were knackered, so I replaced them with some old sony ones that I had laying around in my garage...

It just doesn't sound low enough now, nice clear mid range though.   I'm not after a loud stereo that'll shake the car apart.  I just like it to sound good.   I have actually got a good 12" sub and amp in the garage, but I just dont want to have to use it !

I havent had any myself but these are suppose to be rather good
http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/index.asp?page=p-qb69.html&header=p-qb69-h.html&footer=p-qb69-f.html

They certainly read well...!   Has anybody tried these before?

Low end frequency responnse.
A good bass will get down to at least 40.
Most say something like 25 - 2500

Thanks Len, so the lower the first no. the better bass ??  the vibe ones that Uruk Hai has posted a link,  say 30 - 25,000Hz,  I take it that means they would be fairly low for a 6x9 ??

Thanks for all the helpful comments
« Last Edit: 01 March 2007, 06:43 by wilson »

Offline wilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2007, 06:48 »
Just because a speaker is rated at a given frequency, it doesn't mean it will be loud at that frquency, so don't rely on those quoted figure when buying speakers.
If you don't want a sub, 6.5 inch comps will drop lower (or be louder lower) that 5 1/4 comps.  6 x 9s also can be bassy, but will not be good for your sound stage (unless you get them in your front doors :grin:)

What do you mean "sound stage" ?   I'm not in with stereo lingo!!!!  :embarassed:

I dont want to go messing and cutting things about, especially not doors,  I could always pick up another shelf no probs though, its got a proper MDF weigh a tonne shelf in there at the moment with 6x9 holes cut it, it weighs so much its had uprated lifters on the boot,

So am I better getting a new shelf and getting 6.5 inch speakers, or stick with the already 6x9 holes that are there?

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2007, 09:09 »
Good 6.5 comps will only sound good in the doors, they are not intended for open use like on a parcel shelf.
Get some good 6 x 9's for the shelf.

As for the weight, and I havent done this myself yet but will do soon, if you have or know someone with a router then you can reduce the depth of the MDF over areas. This wont affect the strength but will reduce a lot of the weight.
I had an amp under mine along with the 6x9's.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline wilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2007, 10:01 »
Will do,  those vibe ones above ar 30 - 25,000Hz  does that mean they would have quite a low bass sound?