Author Topic: Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!  (Read 19733 times)

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!
« on: 26 January 2013, 19:39 »

Hey all  :smiley: thought i would start my build thred. i have 9 days to do this includeing today!!!  :shocked:

DAY 1

i am starting off with a 1986 mk2 golf 1.3, an early mk3 golf 16v gti. i made a start today but only got so far as the jacks were being used by screetch16v, who was fabbing up a 2 and a half inch exhaust system for his mk3 AGU.  I have takein the next week off work so i can do my project, but i am doing my project at the place i work in hixon, stafford. will be puting up lots of pics daily, as i progress ferther.

so far ive stripped off the front of the mk3 and undone wires out of that way. i am planning on useing all the mk3 parts and going widetrack i have 8 days left to do it but i think i shud be able to get most of it completed by then. fingers crossed. hears a few pics of what ive done today.

My mk2

The mk3 donar

a few bits comeing off

so thats pritty much as far as i got today. tomorrow i will be hopeing to have the engine out.
i was planning to just unbolt the subframe,the suspension tops, the track rod arms, brake pipe flexies, exhaust manifold and drop it all down to the floor, then get the fork lift and lift the car up and then i will have it all together and ready to bolt onto my mk2. will this work or i am just trying to take to much out at the same time? i carnt see a reason why it wudent work.

i have a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with. hear goes;

1. can i use the mk3 survo and master cylinder?

2. what steering rack will i need? i do not want power steering.

3. can i use the mk3 rear axel as a whole?

4. will the mk3 feul tank, pump and fuel lines fit my mk2?

thats all i can think off for now but im sure some other things will pop up. any help would be great. 

thank you for takeing the time to have a look at my project

also all the parts i do not use for this project will be for sale or if no one wants them then they will be binned. so if u think of anything you would like from the mk3 or anything from my mk2 1.3 bits pile i will have then let me know and ill put it up.

cheers connor

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2013, 19:43 »
good to see a mk3 being killed off to save a mk2 :afro:
« Last Edit: 26 January 2013, 19:45 by Chuff »

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2013, 19:45 »
nice one mate, looks like your gonna be having fun this week!  i can;t answer any of your questions but am looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2013, 20:22 »

Lol Yeah thats the way it shud be.

nice one mate, looks like your gonna be having fun this week!  i can;t answer any of your questions but am looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

no probs mate but thanks for looking, im sure there is going to be blood sweat and tears lol
carnt wait till tomorrow .

Offline benvictors

• I live here
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2013, 20:35 »
YES

Not entirely sure they did a mk3 without PAS but seem to think the mk2 racks can be fitted to the mk3 frame.

YES

YES

And the mk3 front sub frame is a direct fit to the mk2 so you can just drop everything on the frame and bolt straight into the mk2
Good luck with the project bud  :wink:

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2013, 21:20 »
YES

Not entirely sure they did a mk3 without PAS but seem to think the mk2 racks can be fitted to the mk3 frame.

YES

YES

And the mk3 front sub frame is a direct fit to the mk2 so you can just drop everything on the frame and bolt straight into the mk2
Good luck with the project bud  :wink:

Cheers mate thats a big help. I rekon the wireing will take me the longest. Mine is sn early mk2 so got to splice it in to the ce1 fusebox.

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2013, 22:09 »
Behave chuff,you know you secretly want a 3  :tongue: :grin:

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2013, 22:12 »
8 days to go  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: ,better get your ar$e in early connor, cheers for the pics btw  :wink:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2013, 22:16 »
Its funny how a Mk3 that looks ok, is being butchered to fit into a Mk2 that looks a bit of a sh!tter!  :grin:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2013, 22:29 »
Its funny how a Mk3 that looks ok, is being butchered to fit into a Mk2 that looks a bit of a sh!tter!  :grin:

Hey it will look a lot better when the doors are painted and the wheels match lol the doors that came on the car were battered.