Author Topic: MK2 8V manifold/downpipe removal?  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Stu-dub

• Not said much yet
MK2 8V manifold/downpipe removal?
« on: 17 July 2006, 19:39 »
Just been told by an exhaust place that to cure the slight blow from my manifold and/or downpipe on my 1990 MK2 8V golf, it needs a mechanic as the rack needs to be dropped as the downpipe flange is bigger than the hole it has to drop through???

Any ideas?
Sounds a bit complicated for an old easy to work on golf?

Thanks,
Stu

Offline GTI-BOY

• Not said much yet
  • It's a love / hate relationship
Re: MK2 8V manifold/downpipe removal?
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2006, 20:29 »

The manifold will come off by removing six nuts from the downpipe/manifold join and then removing 8 (? I think) bolts from the manifold/head join.  Might be just gasket replacement at these points which is straight forward enough, however if the down pipe has a hole and needs to be removed then I think the steering rack is indeed in the way. 

Blown Gearbox :(   Now replaced :)

Offline Stu-dub

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2006, 10:18 »
So to fit a 4-1 manifold the rack needs dropping!  ??

I'll call my freindly mechanic methinks.....

Judderi

« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2006, 11:11 »
Yup. Its not really the rack but the engine subframe you need to drop. The subframe is only 4 bolts though and can be supported with a trolley jack while dropping it a little. The main worry is the captive nut the subframe bolts to. Sometimes the captive nut breaks free and just spins. So be carefull.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2006, 11:13 »

The manifold will come off by removing six nuts from the downpipe/manifold join and then removing 8 (? I think) bolts from the manifold/head join.  Might be just gasket replacement at these points which is straight forward enough, however if the down pipe has a hole and needs to be removed then I think the steering rack is indeed in the way. 

Oh if only it was that easy :grin:
You'll find that 7 manifold bolts will come out with a struggle, and the hardest one to reach will round off hopelessly.  4 of the downpipe bolts will shear off after some serious effort, one will come off with a struggle and again the hardest one to reach will round off hopelessly!

Anyway: To replace the downpipe you either have to lower the subframe a bit, remove the head from the engine, or pull the engine out.  You might get away with it if you remove the front engine mount and drop it forward a little, then try to squeeze it down the back.

Given the choices I'd go with removing the engine if you have access to a crane, it actually isn't that difficult to do!  The choice as they say, is yours ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2006, 21:06 »
The main worry is the captive nut the subframe bolts to. Sometimes the captive nut breaks free and just spins. So be carefull.

And if you're not careful and it spins? Seems a bit "weak" to be holding the suframe up surely?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2006, 11:48 »
then you have to chop a hole in the footwell and weld it back on!

Offline Mirage-

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2006, 11:55 »
Ahh so it is fixable if this happens then  :grin:

Just that I'll be replacing the ARB soon and from what I could see the subframe needs dropping slightly in the process.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2006, 12:15 »
yeah fixable, but you just need a strong heart when you start chopping a dirty great hole in the footwell :grin:

Offline vitko.lev

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2019, 16:33 »
So to fit a 4-1 manifold the rack needs dropping!  ??

I'll call my freindly mechanic methinks.....
Hi and sorry for asking after 10+ years with no answer in current thread ...
Did you managed to fit it finally?
I am planning to do this very soon, definitely won't take head off the engine.....
Is it possible without undoing the head?