Author Topic: R32 Front Bumper - Grill Query  (Read 1727 times)

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
R32 Front Bumper - Grill Query
« on: 30 June 2017, 12:23 »
Hi All,

Been a while since I posted as largely the Golf has laid dormant in the garage recently due to life getting in the way :sad:

Got the MOT coming up in July and once it's through that I've got a few bits and bobs planned the first of which is getting the front bumper sorted out. I've deliberated over what to do but think I'm going to go for an R32 front, hopefully as this will fit much better around my FMIC and give a reasonably "standard" look (i.e. I'm hoping I can hide the IC pipework and indeed the IC behind the front grills).

These bumpers seem fairly widespread;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-4-IV-MK4-R32-Sport-Front-Bumper-RS-Race-Grill-ABS-Plastic-HIGH-QUALITY-/221472168526?fits=Plat_Gen%3AMK+IV%7CCars+Type%3A3.2+R32+4motion&epid=1188553383&hash=item3390c51a4e:g:4BkAAOSwNSxVQ2jP

My question is, they are obviously built to a price point, and it would appear that they come with some form of Max Power alu mesh welded in place - can these bumpers be retro-fitted with the OEM black plastic R32 grills at all? If not, is there a replica bumper that can facilitate that?

Cheers in advance!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: R32 Front Bumper - Grill Query
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2017, 00:46 »
I tried a non genuine bumper years ago the fit was terrible no matter what we tried it ended up going in the bin even a genuine one will still need cut depending on the route your pipe work goes but try get a genuine one it will save you loads of time  :smiley:

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Re: R32 Front Bumper - Grill Query
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2017, 18:08 »
Thanks for the response and good to know it would still need trimming - I was under the impression it gave a lot more room! As I suspected, might have to fork out for a genuine second hand item...