Author Topic: Rhyso's Family Wagon - Fire Up The Quattro!  (Read 79904 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Rhyso's Family Wagon - Fire Up The Quattro!
« Reply #120 on: 21 January 2018, 18:18 »
Been a while since I’ve updated this but lots of stuff has been happening and not all of it good but hey ho; just got to get on with life  :smiley:

I replaced the Michelins with the Goodyear Assy 3’s as Costco had a great deal on them and I bagged a set in 19’s for £550 fitted  :smiley:  I’ve done over 3000 miles or thereabouts on them and they seem to be performing really well. An added bonus is they are quieter than the previous tyres

Then before Christmas I had someone reverse into me and crack my RS grill  :angry:  hit me with the tow bar!!

Convinced her to buy me the grill as it would be quicker and less hassle than going through the insurance. Even though it wasn’t my fault (my car was parked when I was in work!) I know my premium would be affected.....

Went for a blast over some of my favourite roads on Christmas Eve

I ran out of talent long before the car did.  The conditions were appalling and yet the car just had so much composure and grip that at some points during the drive I was going considerably faster than I thought I was  :lipsrsealed: :shocked:

Then last Monday just as we are approaching two years together the A6 broke down......fuel injector on no1 cylinder had failed  :cry:

Luckily I have some awesome mates who did a towing relay and got me recovered to a garage. Initially the garage thought there was engine damage (it was a local one to where I broke down and more a spanner place than diagnostic).

They replaced the seal hoping it might have been just that but when started up the engine rattled and the car smoked.....a quick phone call to Topher @ Midland VW reassured me it was the injector and asked the garage to perform a simple test by removing the glow plug and cranking it over.  Diesel fired out of the glow plug hole which confirmed the injector had failed and stuck open. When they do this its a characteristic that the engine smokes and sounds as if its coming apart!!!

£265 later for the part and I was back on the road along with a fresh MOT  :cool:

Covered over 200 miles since and all seems well.......I think I was very fortunate this time around   :lipsrsealed:

« Last Edit: 21 March 2018, 18:32 by Rhyso »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #121 on: 23 January 2018, 09:45 »
So today marks 2 YEARS's of A6 ownership!!!

I have now covered 28,000 miles
33mpg is the long term average
On the 3rd set of tyres
2 services
1 complete set of brakes
1 fuel injector.........

The A6 continues to impress with its all round, all-weather capabilities. I took it across some of my favourite roads over Christmas in some atrocious conditions and the A6 didn't bat an eye lid. I chickened out long before the car came close to it's limits. One criticism I would have, and I had it with my A3, is the steering lacks just that level of detail and feedback when pushing on. It's sometimes hard to tell if the car is going to grip or not. Other than that, for a 2.5 tonne Avant its fairly chuckable; also had great fun doing donuts in the works car park when it snowed :D

In terms of modifications within the last 12 months.....I did treat myself to an Rs grill which totally changed the look of the car. And then someone changed it again when they reversed into me and cracked it just before Christmas so I've had 2 in the space of 12 months!!

In October I had the map tweak so the car should be pushing over 300bhp (up from approx 285ish). Normally in such a big car with such a small increase, the difference can be hard to notice, but not with this! It picks up a little bit sharper and the top end past 3000rpm is very very strong indeed. Has the extra power contributed to the failed injector? Jury is out on that one seeing as injectors fail when standard so the fact it coped with an extra 60bhp for a few thousand miles is admirable. Age plays a part as the car has clocked over 101,000 miles.

What's in store for the next 12 months? I really would like a Wagner Intercooler so need to try and save my pennies for one of them. I still need to give the car a full on paintwork correction session as I simply haven't had the time to spend a couple of days on it.

Other than that I'll continue to enjoy it for what it does :)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #122 on: 01 February 2018, 16:59 »
The ONLY problem with a big Quattro like this is the fussiness over tyres and the resulting wear. I currently have an S4 Avant and I'm on a set every 10k or so.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #123 on: 21 March 2018, 18:35 »
Another update, another ‘some idiot hit my car post’  :angry: :angry:

Dropped my daughter off at school, coming out and an idiot in a Corsa pulls out of the housing estate into the front wing......

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #124 on: 24 March 2018, 20:44 »
Bad couple of months for your car Rhys? Looks a minor shunt, but paintwork and replacing that headlamp will likely cost a few.... :(

Build thread clicky

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #125 on: 24 March 2018, 21:32 »
Bad couple of months for your car Rhys? Looks a minor shunt, but paintwork and replacing that headlamp will likely cost a few.... :(

Yup!  2 prangs and a breakdown  :sad: 

In between though its performing brilliantly; just ask the Mini Coope S owner tonight  :grin: even flashed me as we came to a roundabout and then left it for dead the othe side  :laugh: :laugh:

A new headlight is £900......new wing?? Bit of paint?? Glad I’m NOT the one paying!!!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #126 on: 31 May 2018, 06:10 »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #127 on: 08 June 2018, 21:17 »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #129 on: 30 June 2018, 14:27 »
Thanks JV  :smiley:

Latest addition....

image upload no limit

imgurl