Author Topic: What detailing haven't you done today?  (Read 21632 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing haven't you done today?
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2019, 16:47 »
Gave the inside a quick dust, vacuum and wipe down today. The outside was absolutely minging though, how any of you who live in more rural areas cope I've no idea! Most of the muck was from just 3 days in Norfolk :rolleyes: No time for a proper wash so just power washed to get the worst of it off. Also in my mind was that my trip to Dorset tomorrow was unlikely to be helpful in maintaining any shine gained today...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 06 December 2019, 13:07 »
It's de rigueur to have a dirty car in the sticks at this time of year. On the outside anyway. The dirtier the better actually. Nice cars look pretty mean when they are properly dirty.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 11 April 2020, 13:07 »
I just had to dust my GTI off.

I did ten miles last week to go shopping in Waitrose.  The previous week I did seven miles, to go shopping in Tesco.  Which is why I went to Waitrose this week.

I'm seriously considering a cover for it, but unless the car is really clean before you put the cover on, you're better off leaving it uncovered.  My parking are is under cover, but open at each end, and the car becomes dusty quite quickly.  It's all a bit of a "first world problem", and there are far more important things to worry about right now, but it's a bit frustrating.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2020, 17:20 »
I just had to dust my GTI off.

I did ten miles last week to go shopping in Waitrose.  The previous week I did seven miles, to go shopping in Tesco.  Which is why I went to Waitrose this week.

I'm seriously considering a cover for it, but unless the car is really clean before you put the cover on, you're better off leaving it uncovered.  My parking are is under cover, but open at each end, and the car becomes dusty quite quickly.  It's all a bit of a "first world problem", and there are far more important things to worry about right now, but it's a bit frustrating.

Just got back from a Waitrose trip myself, 22 mile round trip. My car is disgusting, to make matters worse I had to wash the dust off the windows before going as it was pretty thick so now it's got dirt runs all down the sides and rear too :rolleyes:. Hopefully I'll wash it sometime next week...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 18 April 2020, 16:13 »
Edit: deleted, posted in wrong thread :o
« Last Edit: 18 April 2020, 16:16 by karlos »
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2020, 14:56 »
Once again, due to the Bubonic Plague or whatever it's called, I've managed to use about half a tank of fuel in the last five weeks, and the car just sits in the Batcave collecting dust.

Tomorrow, an electrician will instal a power socket in the afore-mentioned Batcave, which means that I will be able to use my power washer, car dryer, and battery conditioner without having to faff about with extension leads, using wooden blocks to hold doors open in order to avoid the extension lead being severed, and feeling guilty about using a communal socket to plug in to.

Every time I give the car a proper snow foaming I think how much easier it would be if I could just have my own power socket, and I've finally got around to having one installed.  The final straw was the need to plug my CTEK battery conditioner in for a few hours every ten days or so during my incarceration due to COVID.  Having spoken to a few electricians and found that most of them are looking for work, I arranged for some quotes, and a bit of negotiation later it looks as though my wish will be granted.  The installation will be capable of charging an electric car should the need arise - I'm not intending to sell my GTI any time soon, nor am I convinced that electric will be the way of the future, but it made sense to tick that particular box, as the cost of upgrading the cabling is minimal at this stage.

I'm looking forward to getting the power washer and snow foam out at the weekend!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2020, 15:15 »
Good move Dr Mike! I find the setting up and putting away of cables, hose and kit a right pain too. My car has to sit outside so is getting filthy. We had a storm though a few days ago and the torrential rain did at least wash the worst off!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Vaporise

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 17 June 2020, 18:12 »
I haven't cleaned the inside of the car since the day I got a few weeks ago :( , the mats (well, drivers mat) really needs a good scrub. Also needs a bit of a hoover, and I have an unopened bottle of Dr Leather that I keep forgetting about. The arches could also use a good scrub but I can't be bothered to take the wheels off
2016 GTI PP
RIP: 2007 1.6 Match, 2014 GTI PP

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2020, 15:53 »
Not today but at the weekend; gave my new ‘pocket rocket’ it’s first wash, decontamination and a couple of coats of protection.

Unfortunately it’s that time of year when the sun doesn’t get as high in the sky, so my driveway and car are in shade (good for car washing, but not so good for photos). No ‘before’ or ‘during’ pictures, but here are a few ‘afters’;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 15 September 2020, 19:55 »
You kept that quiet! White really suits it, looks great! How are you finding this over the last one?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.