Author Topic: Golf MK6 GTD - 2011 Potential Purchase - Thoughts/Advise?  (Read 13184 times)

Offline Starfox

• Not said much yet
First time poster, but reading my way through the forums educating myself on the MK6 Golf...

I recently purchased my second Type R FN2 and I am loving it but changes in circumstances has pushed my annual mileage up to 18,000 - 20,000.  So I am thinking about changing to a diesel.

Not wanting to go straight for the completely sensible 1.6 Diesels and not being completely won over by the 9G Civics I have been looking at a Golf.  I would love a MK7 GTD but I cannot afford one.  So I am now strongly considering a MK6 GTD Golf as I reckon I would get around 50MPG.

I have seen this 2011 GTD Golf which I love the look of (I am a sucker for upgraded extras - this car has a good amount).  The mileage is slightly higher than I would have liked but then I could get one for similar money with about 20K less miles but most of the extras aren't on it.  Going to view it after work today and hopefully get my first drive in a GTD Golf...

£16,500 seems alot of money for a car with this amount of miles on it (remember it is N. Ireland - we have to pay a bit more over here!) but it is a Golf I guess.  I would just be worried if I put 20K miles on it a year and after 3 years went to sell it what type of resale value I could expect.  I am hoping some of the experienced VW owners on here could give me their thoughts - I have been a Honda person for the last 8 years so knowledge of Golfs is limited  :smiley:

Thanks!
2011 MK6 GTD 5dr Carbon Grey, 18" Charleston, Xenons, ACC, RNS 510, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Front & Rear Sensors, Winter Pack
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/645595.html

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
Re: Golf MK6 GTD - 2011 Potential Purchase - Thoughts/Advise?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2014, 11:40 »
Looks a good deal to me.  I have a similar spec without a few of those options and I have a higher mileage and I had about 15.5k in my head if I were to sell.
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline Starfox

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2014, 11:53 »
Thanks - it is at least comforting to have the price being reasonable confirmed!  I guess coming from Honda Civic's I have to get used to the VW Golf's being higher priced...Hopefully they are keen to deal.

Would you say 50MPG is a fair estimate?  Ride comfort OK on the 18" wheels? (Type R ride comfort = awful  :sad:).  Having ACC as well on it will help with this I guess.

Anything specifically I should be looking out for when viewing/driving today?

Thanks!

2011 MK6 GTD 5dr Carbon Grey, 18" Charleston, Xenons, ACC, RNS 510, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Front & Rear Sensors, Winter Pack

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2014, 22:00 »
I have ACC on 18's and very hard bridgestone s001's and the ride in comfort mode is quite impressive, of course you'll feel it if you hit pot holes and go over bumps quickly, but the comfort on uneven roads is pretty good, I love it!

Of course I have dsg and only do town driving so my mpg is 40 but that's still pretty decent seeing as I'm always sitting through rush hour traffic.
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2014, 22:29 »
I have a 2011 mk6 GTD and I regularly get 50+ mpg with a mix of roughly 50% town driving and 50% journeys of 25+ miles. That's with me calculating the fuel consumption manually by brimming the tank when I fill up as the mpg readout on the MFD on the instrument display tends to be a little optimist.

I've got 18" Charleston alloys and although the ride is firm, it's fine. I came from a mk5 GT TDI 170 which had 17" wheels, and I didn't notice any discernible deterioration in ride quality when I got my GTD on 18" wheels. I'm assuming the car you're considering has 18" wheels. Whether they're 17" or 18", both designs are diamond cut so check them over carefully for curb damage or whiteworm corrosion, as they cost around £80 a wheel to refurbish, and not all wheel refurbishers have the facilities to tackle them.

My GTD is my 3rd Golf and is my favourite. If you find one with xenon headlights, then that's a bonus. I have them, and they're one of my my favourite features of the car. They not only give much better visibility than the standard halogens (although there are some decent non-xenon bulb upgrades available), they also make the car look more aggressive.

Good luck. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2014, 22:45 »
Buy the golf, i had a type R, 09 plate got to know the woman in the petrol station very well! Traded the petrol sucker in for a 59 plate leon FR+ harmony was restored throughout the land :grin: even got a letter from Greenpeace thanking me for my efforts on the global warming project. Leon went and arrived the GTD VW has a wee bit better quality feel about it. I have a stage 1 remap and pottering about at 60mph easily see 56mpg.
PS i was later told that the Type R was sold to a man with a Subaru...he was overjoyed with his increased fuel economy....poor bloke!
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Starfox

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2014, 12:07 »
Thanks guys for the responses...

I do really want the ACC although it doesn't seem to be that common (guessing because of the additional cost when new) - the road I drive to work on is hideous in places.  Type R really struggles on it.

50+ MPG is what I am looking so it is nice to get it confirmed, I mentioned it to the salesguy last night and he was like yea yea no bother (Although I think if I had of asked him would it do 80 MPG+ he would have said the same  :rolleyes:)

I seen it last night, didn't get a test drive in it yet.  They have no interest in PX for my Type R so I need to see about getting it sold.  Although I am tempted to go back next week and see if they will do the deal and take a holding deposit to secure it as I am assuming my Type R won't sell that quickly.  Could be a a bit of a risk though but I loved what I seen of the car and would be gutted if I missed out as it is exactly what I am looking for.

SRGTD you are right the car I am looking at has 18" wheels.  Love the look of them plus it has the Xenon lights as well (As I said it is loaded with extras)  From what I seen of the wheels they were in very good condition - only a small slight mark on one of them.  Little bit of white-worm corrosion on the bolts but they can be easily changed.  Quite a big stone chip in the bonnet which hadn't been touched up and was rusting but I am sure it can be fixed too.

Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Starfox

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2014, 12:08 »
Buy the golf, i had a type R, 09 plate got to know the woman in the petrol station very well! Traded the petrol sucker in for a 59 plate leon FR+ harmony was restored throughout the land :grin: even got a letter from Greenpeace thanking me for my efforts on the global warming project. Leon went and arrived the GTD VW has a wee bit better quality feel about it. I have a stage 1 remap and pottering about at 60mph easily see 56mpg.
PS i was later told that the Type R was sold to a man with a Subaru...he was overjoyed with his increased fuel economy....poor bloke!

Ha - agreed I am spending too much time in the petrol station plus I am quickly getting fed up with the Milltek performance exhaust drone and extremely firm ride!  I am on two stag does from now until Monday week so will have to hold off until then before putting it up for sale...

Offline jonathan_phang

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2014, 10:05 »
Hi there,

I picked my 59 plate GTD DSG about 3 months ago and before that I had a remaped Seat LCR. With the miles that you do, you must have fairly long journeys so I would say that you should be able to get 50-ish mpg, but it depends of course on how you drive.  I had 18s on my LCR and now run the same Goodyear Eagle Assy 2's on the GTD and its so much more compliant over potholes and humps and in general. No more wincing when I see a bump coming!

I cant see the spec - its not loading up, but the cabin is a very nice place to be, and I find myself more chilled in my driving style as a result. I also got standard cruise control installed when I got it recently serviced and it makes driving even easier, especially coupled with DSG.

Yes it costs more, but its probably got a higher residual sale value, although that will drop as the MK7s get older I guess. When I was researching the car, I never really came across many major problems regarding the GTD, and even on this forum there isnt much to go by. Overall I'm really happy with the car, though coming from a mapped turbo, I'm enquiring about a remap to get a bit more oomph and also a touch more economy.

Wish I had found one with Xenons and rear LEDs though - really expensive to add afterwards!

Good luck with finding the one you want

Jonny
Candy White MK6 Golf GTD | DSG | Heated Leather | RNS 510

Offline Starfox

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2014, 18:44 »
Thanks - not sure what happened that link.  Basically it has,

Bluetooth Telephone preparation
Cruise control
DVD navigation system with 6.5" colour touch screen & Dynaudio sound pack
Ultrasonic front and rear optical and audible parking sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights and headlight washers
Winter pack
Metallic - Carbon grey
ACC - Adaptive chassis control
18" Charleston alloy wheels

So as you can see very well spec'd!  My dream spec TBH.  52K miles for £16,500 though so you pay for that!  I am away until next week so I will decide and potentially make the purchase when I get back if they will accept a small holding deposit to allow me to then get my own car sold (And it is still for sale!).  My work journey is 45 mile round trip and then I would do another 70 mile round trip at least twice a week.  A friend who owns a MK7 GTI Golf had mentioned the potential to remap the GTD to get more power and better MPG as well...

Not having to wince when I see a pothole would be nice  :smiley: