Author Topic: Wing Mirror Advice  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
Wing Mirror Advice
« on: 11 March 2019, 16:34 »
Hi folks,

I am hoping somebody can give me some advice regarding replacement wing mirrors for my 2017 mk7 GTI.
I had a bird strike with the passenger mirror 7 it was very catastrophic, in addition to that I clipped the drivers 1 last year so I just decided I would get 2 new 1’s

This is the quote from the dealer

Having looked at the pictures you have sent me here is a list of the parts that I think you will need for both repairs.

Passenger side:
Body - £290.00
Glass - £55.12
Cap - £59.05
Paint - £60.00
Total Parts - £464.17

Driver side:
Body - £290.00
Cap - £59.05 (will need to inspect because the fixings might have snapped and may not be able to fit onto the new body)
Paint - £60.00
Total Parts - £409.05

I've spoken to the workshop controller and he has said that the whole job would take 2 hours to complete which will cost £204.00 in labour. If you want to go ahead with the repair I can get all the parts ordered and painted for you to get fixed on Monday. Let me know as soon as you can so I can get the ball rolling for you.

I didn’t think it would be cheap but you had to pick me up from the floor

I have found a website called wing mirror man where I can get a non VW replacement for £200 each & a local garage that will fit them both for £100

Has anyone bought mirrors from here before, do you know how well they will fit, will they need coded etc

https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/wing-mirrors/volkswagen-wing-mirror-units/volkswagen-golf/vw-golf-2012-2018-electric-folding-with-memory-wing-mirror-unit-passenger-side

https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/wing-mirrors/volkswagen-wing-mirror-units/volkswagen-golf?filter_attribute%5B31%5D=&filter_attribute%5B30%5D=2017

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Wing Mirror Advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2019, 17:31 »
Having had replacements in the past myself I can say the quote you've had looks about right. If you wanted to you could save a bit by buying the black gloss mirror caps (genuine VW) for around £125 which would save you £120 in paint and look rather good against the TR - https://vdsshop.co.uk/products/gloss-black-mirror-covers-for-mk7-golf

I'd be wary of non genuine parts especially as your car is still under warranty although the price difference would be tempting. Make sure the replacement ones have all the same functions including the puddle lights...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2019, 17:36 »
I'd buy genuine parts to be sure they'll fit, gloss black mirror caps as they look ace and come painted, and fit it all myself. It is a very simple job to do as each mirror is held on by a couple of screws. I assume you have a screwdriver?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2019, 17:49 »
I'd buy genuine parts to be sure they'll fit, gloss black mirror caps as they look ace and come painted, and fit it all myself. It is a very simple job to do as each mirror is held on by a couple of screws. I assume you have a screwdriver?

This is true, it's just getting the door cards off and running the cables through the door in the right places, you could cut the cables off (unplugged of course!) And use those to pull the new cables through. There are guides on you tube if you do a search. Might be worth having a few spare door card clips handy in case any break. Or buy the parts and have your local garage fit them for £100 if you trust them. Don't buy the copy ones...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2019, 18:37 »
Thanks for the advice, I have had a look already on YouTube and I am half tempted to try and fit them myself. I have also checked online for mirrors in scrapyards but nothing was coming up as a match.
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2019, 09:14 »
£120 to paint 2 mirror caps!  :shocked:

Was he wearing a Dick Turpin mask when he gave you the quote?!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2019, 10:25 »
I'd say the price is about right... including the price for spraying them up.

Definitely I'd go with the VW OEM gloss black covers though - I quite fancy those anyway and you have the perfect chance to do it now and not feel like you've spent money replacing a perfectly good part :-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC