Author Topic: BJD's MkII 16v  (Read 18683 times)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
Re: BJD's MkII 16v
« Reply #60 on: 19 August 2012, 21:15 »
Looking FANTASTIC...

Much appreciated Ken.

I really cant believe the state of the wiring! It was a fire waiting to happen. One things for sure, if i ever buy another mk2 or older car, the first thing on my list to do is check the wiring. 

You say that mate, i nearly set my old 16v on fire with the headlight loom, burnt the cable back to the fusebox and poisonous smokey fumes everywhere shat my pants!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #61 on: 20 August 2012, 01:07 »
Common issue with 20 year old hot hatches.... So many alarms fitted by "Stevie Wonder" over so many years it one of those things you find...

Only car I've ever seen without a butchered loom was a GL I had last year.... every single part of the loom had been untouched since it left the factory inc the stereo...

but no good for a GTI as it didn't have the MFA loom..

Sold it to a guy in Japan, who was doing a rebuild...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #62 on: 20 August 2012, 10:43 »
Wow... this really is looking amazing... Love it!  :cool:

As far as wiring goes, feel your pain, the old "professionally fitted" Clifford in mine had destroyed the cars electrics... Had to rip it all out and start fresh! Fooking cowboys required just to get a Thatcham CAT cert.

Offline BJD

• GTI forum regular
  • G2 GTI 16V - G4 TDI 130
« Reply #63 on: 20 August 2012, 13:14 »
Looking FANTASTIC...

Much appreciated Ken.

I really cant believe the state of the wiring! It was a fire waiting to happen. One things for sure, if i ever buy another mk2 or older car, the first thing on my list to do is check the wiring. 

You say that mate, i nearly set my old 16v on fire with the headlight loom, burnt the cable back to the fusebox and poisonous smokey fumes everywhere shat my pants!

Haha I bet! There's evidence on some connectors that the wire has started to overheat and burn. I've had to check every wire and rectify anything I'm not happy with.

Offline BJD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #64 on: 20 August 2012, 13:17 »
Common issue with 20 year old hot hatches.... So many alarms fitted by "Stevie Wonder" over so many years it one of those things you find...

Only car I've ever seen without a butchered loom was a GL I had last year.... every single part of the loom had been untouched since it left the factory inc the stereo...

but no good for a GTI as it didn't have the MFA loom..

Sold it to a guy in Japan, who was doing a rebuild...

Amazing. Must be very rare to find an untouched loom these days! I now know all my wiring is safe and how I want it to be. No more hidden horror's!! I hate insulating tape, 9/10 it's hiding an unsafe repair!

Offline BJD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #65 on: 20 August 2012, 13:22 »

As far as wiring goes, feel your pain, the old "professionally fitted" Clifford in mine had destroyed the cars electrics... Had to rip it all out and start fresh! Fooking cowboys required just to get a Thatcham CAT cert.

Thanks man! Just trying my best! My OCD part of me wants to get it to showroom condition. But I really just wanna enjoy driving it and not have to worry about a stone chip etc.

Did you fit an alarm system?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #66 on: 20 August 2012, 13:34 »

Thanks man! Just trying my best! My OCD part of me wants to get it to showroom condition. But I really just wanna enjoy driving it and not have to worry about a stone chip etc.

Did you fit an alarm system?

The previous owner had every feature available from Clifford at the time fitted to my car. 

Have a look at a couple of pages from:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=152606.msg1398467#msg1398467

Since starting with a blank canvas I have fitted a new system but did it myself, including 2 zone proxy, central locking.  This time I knew it was done right.