Author Topic: bmm's 87 mk2 - don't call it OEM+!  (Read 9298 times)

Offline bmm

• Not said much yet
  • Be patient... I'm an idiot
Re: bmm's 87 mk2 - don't call it OEM+!
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2010, 12:28 »
Thanks for the comments everyone!  Got plenty to come yet, just got to write it up :nerd:

I have a complete airbox and AFM.

Talk to me if you're interested...
Might well take you up on that...  I'll PM you.

funny that, my wires are the same!! found some wires to wire the sub up, which had already been done, but when put new interior in the other day, found another bunch of wires, not sure if attatched anymore, but even so, they go to the front of the car, so gotta sort that... and my bloody alarm goes off all the time as well, but can i just get rid of the whole alarm?? i have to click alarm at the mo to start the car?? car looks good tho btw ;)
It must be something about certain VW owners, they just chuck wires all over the place!  Think I got lucky with my alarm and managed to sort it, might be worth getting rid and getting something better installed (Toad?) because there's nothing worse than not being able to trust your alarm!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2010, 12:49 »
Worth having a working alarm, as when my windows got smashed on my Mk3 I failed to notice til the morning because my alarm siren was busted and so it didnt go off :sick:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/Dec_012/Car/DSCN1789.jpg :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline TalisaJade

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2010, 12:49 »
Exactly! I don't even set mine anymore,its as unpredictable as a woman at the time of the month!!! Even though the car is a boy :D,the alarm must definately be a woman!! Although the alarm still flashes so it looks as if its on haha,which is no good whatsoever really... Not my top priority as the only places I leave it are at home and work! :)
Go & f**k Yourself To Whoever Reads This!

Offline bmm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2010, 20:47 »
The Endless Wheel Refurb Project

I figured there wasn't much to lose by attempting a DIY refurb of the alloys that came on the car - they were in pretty afwul condition, with hideous snaking corrosion under the lacquer of all the lips and the black centres seemed to get lost in the blackness.  So with plentiful supplies from Halfords and a corner of my flat converted into a makeshift spray booth I set out on what can only be described as a series of experiments that somehow ended up with a decent result.

Did the first bit at my parents over Christmas, more of an experiment to see how easy they'd be to clean up:

Before and during the first few goes over with 600 grit paper.  Encouraging!

Then back in Bristol things went a bit slower, and over the next 3 1/2 months I got round to sanding, spraying, sanding and spraying some more:

Sanded and prepped (badly) - would take longer if I did it again...

Fronts primered

Backs primered

Colour coats sprayed on front and back

Offline bmm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2010, 20:50 »
The biggest mistake I made was deciding to do the final lacquer coat in my parent's extremely dusty garage, and ending up with a properly terrible finish.  Add to that the fact that I lathered on the lacquer way too thick and ended up with runs all over the place, and it left me pretty depressed about the whole thing :(  But a little while later, I'd come up with a foolproof (and dustproof?) little solution:

OK, so it wasn't quite dustproof, but it did well enough for the final clearcoat.  Even had a fan as a dust extractor.  Got to apologise to my flatmates for making the flat stink, and probably killed a few billion brain cells in the process!  But I finally got everything done and put together, polished and sealed and ready for the show season:

Not bad for an idiot, huh?!  By the way, if anyone has a clue what these wheels are, let me know!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2010, 20:57 »
Oh my god! I hope I can do half as good a job on my wheels as those! Awesome stuff :cool:

Are they the same as Dmonday's wheels? He will know what they are :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2010, 21:41 »
Awesome job.. bit worried for your lungs though! indoor spraying under a plastic tent  :shocked: scary!

tis the season for home wheel refurbs.... this site is going to become famous for it.. you win hands down on spray locations though! gonna do my ra's over the winter...

Offline bmm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2010, 13:36 »
Awesome job.. bit worried for your lungs though! indoor spraying under a plastic tent  :shocked: scary!
Yeah, in hindsight it wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had! :drool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2010, 13:46 »
Yeah, in hindsight it wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had! :drool:
ah well, i'm sure you did your best not to breath it in, should have got a mask from a diy shop... cheap enough considering it saves your lungs!  Ive started doing car stuff in my shed, spent a night sanding panels to then find loads of nasy sh*t in my nose when i blew it!.. wonder how much id breathed in!.. bought a respirator mask for like £5!

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2010, 13:47 »
We could set up our own DIY Refurb! Theres been a load of people doing it recently  :cool:

Another great turn out i see  :cool: