Author Topic: Vibration / noise in cabin at idle  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Vibration / noise in cabin at idle
« on: 21 August 2016, 09:36 »
Hello and help.
The car is suffering from a vibration / engine noise in the cabin at idle, apparent up behind the clocks and dash.
If I blip the throttle it goes away.
Can't hear anything outside the car.
I jacked it up to make sure nothing in contact with lowered suspension.
If I park with that corner lowered into a dip the noise goes away. If I park with that corner raised (ie up on a curb) it maybe gets worse.
I used large screwdriver trick to listen for signs of it around engine and closest is around that right mount up on the chassis leg. Can't detect it on engine side of the mount (maybe too much engine noise).
Upon starting there's also a weird squeak from that same area. There is sometimes a similar squeak going over bumps.
I'm thinking it's the engine mount itself is worn and transmitting noise to body.
Does that make sense?
Your thoughts and ideas appreciated! :-)

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
Re: Vibration / noise in cabin at idle
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2016, 10:02 »
Wrong forum. Can someone please move to mk4 technical. Soz

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
Re: Vibration / noise in cabin at idle
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2016, 20:20 »
Well its fixed!
Changed out the right hand engine mount - that was fun!  Not!  This fixed the vibration and cabin noise but not the squeak when rocking the engine or car around. 

The squeak was coming from around the same area but really hard to trace.  Sprayed WD40 around and noticed it went quiet around the pancake pipe mounting.  Turns out this had torn off the rubber grommet and was loose, rubbing and banging around.  Guessing due to the worn engine mount sagging and pulling the pipe off its mounting.  Luckily the nut loosened off (after 16 years!) and I got a large washer under it to pull the pancake pipe back up.

It lives!

Build thread clicky