Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 242999 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #40 on: 31 December 2018, 09:00 »
This week’s Autocar has the TCR being available in August 2019.

That’s interesting. The motoring press have been reporting that mk8 Golf production starts in June 2019, so mk7.5 production will have stopped in advance of that date to enable the Wolfsburg plant to tool up for the start of mk8 production.

In the same article Autocar is stating Dec 19 for the Mk8 golf. These are the UK ‘on-sale’ dates so I assume that other quoted dates are for production only?

It’s still a really short production window. When you think about it it’s an odd decision to even conceive the TCR unless it becomes a regular gti trim level on future mks.

0-60 time is listed as 5.6 seconds  which is ok but not significantly quicker than the PP.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #41 on: 31 December 2018, 09:24 »
Mk8's should be available in the calendar year 2020... which model of Mk8's unknown, unlikely to be them all.

The logical point of retooling and setting up the line is the MY swapover I'd have thought, so that's what - September 2019?

I still think we have a chance of a runout Mk7.5 sometime in 2019, unless the current lane assist/keyless/rear camera is the runout?

I'm still not convinced there will be a TCR model in the UK simply because TCR means nothing here.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Cardy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 31 December 2018, 09:56 »
Do the TCR or WTCC even run a round in this country ?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 31 December 2018, 09:58 »
The main model year changes have historically been from week 22. There’s usually further small spec changes to some models in week 45. This year was different though - probably a result of WLTP activity; 2019 model year production started from week 31 - see post #1 in thread at the link below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=283401.0

So if model year changes revert back to the usual week 22 next year, retooling around that time would tie in with mk8 production commencing in June as reported by much of the motoring press, with the first mk8 deliveries likely to be mainland Europe and the UK following a few months after?

Agree with Fred, that the UK may not get the TCR.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 31 December 2018, 10:40 »
Some good points there. Tbh I don’t think anything about the tcr actually makes sense but I believe that the uk is the biggest market for the gti according to various magazines. Seems odd to have an ed40 CS and tcr in the same generation. But, it still wouldn’t surprise me at all if it doesn’t arrive. Of course, I know literally nothing though!

I’ll wait until the end of January and see what other information surfaces.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 31 December 2018, 11:36 »
Just spoke to my dealer about my car, so I took the opportunity to follow-up on the TCR question I posed, he said that there is still nothing on any internal system from VWUK, nor have they been advised anything is coming.

He said that standard practice is VWUK need to be allocated a specific number of RHD variant vehicles before they can open the books for order, so if it is coming to the UK then they may open order books at the same time it is announced, but that is very unusual. Having said that WLPT has thrown everything out of kilter so it's a possibility. So right now, he says no more info and the reason a Belgium have it up is because they will have been allocated a number of cars they can sell.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #46 on: 31 December 2018, 11:51 »
Seems odd to have an ed40 CS and tcr in the same generation.

CS was a Mk7 runout, pretty much like the other special editions were.

TCR makes sense only insofar as a Mk7.5 runout.

I still think there's a chance of a last gasp heavily option freebie'd Mk7.5 GTI - emptying those part bins/contracts to encourage purchases of Mk7.5's once the date of the arrival of the Mk8 is very clear (to prevent a sales slump - who'd want an old model when the new one is almost here?)... so perhaps April?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 31 December 2018, 11:57 »
Seems odd to have an ed40 CS and tcr in the same generation.

CS was a Mk7 runout, pretty much like the other special editions were.

TCR makes sense only insofar as a Mk7.5 runout.

I still think there's a chance of a last gasp heavily option freebie'd Mk7.5 GTI - emptying those part bins/contracts to encourage purchases of Mk7.5's once the date of the arrival of the Mk8 is very clear (to prevent a sales slump - who'd want an old model when the new one is almost here?)... so perhaps April?

It’s hard to know what to believe really with no solid information. I can remember a dealer telling me that when they added leather to the mk5 (I think) as standard it was to make it more premium, not because it was a run out model. How I laughed.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 31 December 2018, 12:58 »
Seems odd to have an ed40 CS and tcr in the same generation. But, it still wouldn’t surprise me at all if it doesn’t arrive. Of course, I know literally nothing though!

Not completely unprecedented though. Mk5 had the Ed30 and then the Pirelli edition, both of which were available in the UK.

It’s hard to know what to believe really with no solid information. I can remember a dealer telling me that when they added leather to the mk5 (I think) as standard it was to make it more premium, not because it was a run out model. How I laughed.

Salespeople eh.  :rolleyes: They do talk complete and utter drivel at times.
7.5 GTD

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 31 December 2018, 13:00 »
You have to wonder how much VWUK are holding off on the TCR until the back log (due to WLTP) has been cleared. The chances of people cancelling and/or switching to a TCR order might be quite high so VW might not be willing to take the risk.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.