Author Topic: Wireless charging  (Read 6552 times)

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
Wireless charging
« on: 12 March 2019, 09:53 »
Hey guys, just wondering what options there are out there in terms of a wireless charging pad to fit in the tray behind the gearstick?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Wireless charging
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2019, 10:00 »
There's the one made by inbay:

https://www.inbay.systems/en/shop/vw-en/

The only problem I seem to remember is that in a LHD car the USB port is on the other side, so this doesn't work on a RHD (UK) car.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2019, 10:04 »
These have been mentioned before, not technically a wireless charger but good solution.

https://www.d-docks.com/
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2019, 10:04 »
Bear in mind that QI charging is power only, it does not do wireless data/signal transfer.

So if you want to use ACP/AA you will still need to plug your phone into the USB, which renders the QI mat useless as when it's plugs in it charges anyway.

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2019, 10:07 »
Yes, not sure why VW offered the wireless charging option without wireless AA/ACP...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2019, 10:12 »
Yes, not sure why VW offered the wireless charging option without wireless AA/ACP...
It's down to the tech in the 7/7.5 and how it's programmed. Wireless CarPlay has been around for years (believe it or not since iOS9!), but for it to work it needs both Bluetooth and full Wi-Fi technology to be in the car. The car's Bluetooth first connects to the phone to makes the digital ‘handshake’ then once established it connects to your iPhone over the Wi-Fi for a more stable (and adequate bandwidth) connection.

In order for this to work, the car's software has to be programmed to allow both sets of tech to be in use together. Given the 7/7.5 doesn't/didn't have full Wi-Fi, that's why.

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2019, 10:20 »
I thought it did have wifi hotspot.... I'm certain mine does! (Mk7.5 with NavPro...)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2019, 10:26 »
I thought it did have wifi hotspot.... I'm certain mine does! (Mk7.5 with NavPro...)
You have an 'optional' (not standard) Wi-Fi hotspot, but it's not high-speed or designed for high bandwidth data/OS transfer. It also isn't programmed and engineered to work with the bluetooth.

For full wireless ACP/AA, you need to have the latest technology, and more importantly the tech has to be specifically programmed to communicate with each other.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 10:31 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2019, 10:58 »
So bottom line is, just connect my phone with a short cable? lol

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2019, 11:05 »
So bottom line is, just connect my phone with a short cable? lol
Pretty much. Funnily enough I've just ordered a 'short cable' specifically to put in the car because I'm fed up with having to loop/shove/push my normal iPhone cable into the compartment each time I plug it in...

https://amzn.to/2HyDQ5c

No idea what it's like, but 20cm seems a good length, and it's certified by Apple so it will (should) work. :)
SOLD March 2021