Author Topic: Advice please - wheels  (Read 4093 times)

Offline 343JI

• Not said much yet
Advice please - wheels
« on: 24 February 2012, 09:02 »

Looking to replace my Monza 17's with reasonably priced second hand Shadows but can't find any yet.  I have seen all the threads about the potential problems with these wheels and keeping them in good condition so wondered if replicas like the ones below would be reasonable and last ok? (or as good as Shadows as they are not diamond cut etc?)

I know these are only relatively cheap replicas but being a bit tight I don't want to pay over £1k for wheels and tyres (new or second hand).

Any feedback on these below on quality, drawbacks, and which would look better would be gratefully received. Sorry to go over old ground.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330690319523?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330681847751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
Re: Advice please - wheels
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2012, 09:45 »
My advice is to stick with OEM. My Monza shadows are in perfect condition (get washed every week) and there is no white worm. Reps are normally much heavier and I have heard (no experience myself) the increase in unsprung weight affects the steering and handling.  :undecided:

One of my neighbours has a Golf with Monza Shadow reps and from a distance they look good but close up the finish is rubbish and they are corroded now.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline 343JI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2012, 09:51 »
Ok thanks.  Just trying to get hold of some second hand for less than £1k with newish tyres but struggling - Am I being unreasonable at that price?

Jimmymature

« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2012, 10:44 »
Ok thanks.  Just trying to get hold of some second hand for less than £1k with newish tyres but struggling - Am I being unreasonable at that price?

I saw a set in perfect condition go on eBay for £561.15!!!!

Offline RickS

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2012, 10:55 »

Are you sure? New Monza Shadows are £508 EACH from VW. Surely someone hasn't sold a set in perfect condition for the price of 1 new wheel?
2012 R. Rising Blue 3 door DSG with 19" Talladega's, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, DCC, Rear Cam, Colour MFD, Lux pack, Storage pack, Service plan.

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2012, 11:13 »

Looking to replace my Monza 17's with reasonably priced second hand Shadows but can't find any yet.  I have seen all the threads about the potential problems with these wheels and keeping them in good condition so wondered if replicas like the ones below would be reasonable and last ok? (or as good as Shadows as they are not diamond cut etc?)

I know these are only relatively cheap replicas but being a bit tight I don't want to pay over £1k for wheels and tyres (new or second hand).

Any feedback on these below on quality, drawbacks, and which would look better would be gratefully received. Sorry to go over old ground.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330690319523?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330681847751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I up graded the alloys can’t remember the name but they have silver insets to the spooks and high glass black paint to the rest of the alloy.
You could do what I do. I put the Monza’s on in winter with winter tyers though you don’t need to put them on if you don’t want to and use the up graded alloys for spring summer use. They still look like new though I give them a good alloy wax once a month.
Just an idea for you as you have the Monza’s

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2012, 12:34 »

Yep, that sounds about right....I got mine new for £650!
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Jimmymature

« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2012, 16:02 »

Are you sure? New Monza Shadows are £508 EACH from VW. Surely someone hasn't sold a set in perfect condition for the price of 1 new wheel?

I was shocked too but I have the item still in my Watch List on my eBay account.

Jim

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2012, 18:30 »
Prices varied do a search on here the price of them is not as high as it.once was. Quite a few.sold on this section of the forum over time
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.