Author Topic: Alternatives to the TCR  (Read 11291 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: Alternatives to the TCR
« Reply #70 on: 31 March 2020, 11:04 »
Gtiless - interesting post and good to hear 1st hand from someone who has had both. Would be possible to expand a wee bit further re ride comfort, engine/exhaust noise, practicality, real world mpg, seat comfort? Cheers

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #71 on: 31 March 2020, 11:15 »
On the keyless subject...

The connect app showed my car as being unlocked a couple of days ago (noticed when I wanted to check the petrol status), but it was still locked (wing mirrors were in).  This was the only thing that looked wrong on the app.

Question is - would this be the app that was displaying incorrect?

Reason why I ask is the door handles were tried on the car a couple of nights before (picked up on security cam).  Is it possible the two could be related? 
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 31 March 2020, 11:31 »

The connect app showed my car as being unlocked a couple of days ago (noticed when I wanted to check the petrol status), but it was still locked (wing mirrors were in).  This was the only thing that looked wrong on the app.

Reason why I ask is the door handles were tried on the car a couple of nights before (picked up on security cam).  Is it possible the two could be related?

Had a similar 'blip' randomly checked the App one Sunday morning and it stated that all the doors were open and car unlocked!

Of course jumped out of bed to go have a look and car was fine, crashed the App and turned off/on wifi and everything back to what normally see.

Not done it since

Thought you get an actual alert when the handles are tried? only alerts I seen is when I leave the area.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 31 March 2020, 11:32 »

I've had this a couple of times when I've moved the car quickly i.e. the car/ignition being switched on for 30secs. I think that's because the system doesn't get time to connect and send the status and relay correctly.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 31 March 2020, 11:32 »
Had you inadvertently disabled it? I disable mine everytime I park it outside the house, just in case.

One of features that like on the 7.5 is the ability to disable KESSY which has become habit and not in anyway onerous.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 31 March 2020, 11:41 »
Mine went to the supermarket and back yesterday, first time it has moved in nearly a week :sad: Working from home so trips out are going to be very rare for sometime now...

have predominately WFH for last 10 years with occassional trip in to London or road trip out to an office or vendor workplace so you would think pretty seasoned but its still different, the wife is sharing the work space is one, and she has always worked in an office and is still to settle! and as I work pretty flexibly given my work has Global connections, do like to pop out in the day to share a coffee, fetch something etc, so still some adjustment being undertaken even by someone used to the home working.

But we only being asked to stay in while others go into the face of this so above is an observation and not a gripe and willingly doing my little bit and following the guidance completely

Do have a run out today to deliver some top up supplies to our elderly parents and a shielded individual, just waiting to be stopped and having to explain myself as imagine in the TCR do look like am out for a jolly

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #76 on: 31 March 2020, 12:27 »
GTIless, Pretty much the same as I felt about it after my test drive.

You are right insofar as the Mk7.5 (that I have) is more than a bit of a modernisation of the Mk7, but it still feels dated vs the new 1 series that I test drove.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2020, 12:29 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 31 March 2020, 12:33 »
Gtiless - interesting post and good to hear 1st hand from someone who has had both. Would be possible to expand a wee bit further re ride comfort, engine/exhaust noise, practicality, real world mpg, seat comfort? Cheers

I can help you with that.

The one I drove was on 18's and no DCC. It was perfectly comfortable, no different to the Golf, even on the super crap roads near me.

Engine noise is probably a bit faked like a Golf, but was suitably zoomy when you boot it. The exhaust popped and crackled on over-runs.

Practicality, its the same as a Golf. I parked next to one at the supermarket yesterday, its exactly the same dimensions.

I got 42mpg driving normally and 27mpg driving with the afterburners on.

Seats are lovely and comfy in the standard spec, although I'd spec the optional lumber support for max comfort.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #78 on: 31 March 2020, 14:40 »

I can help you with that.

The one I drove was on 18's and no DCC. It was perfectly comfortable, no different to the Golf, even on the super crap roads near me.

Engine noise is probably a bit faked like a Golf, but was suitably zoomy when you boot it. The exhaust popped and crackled on over-runs.

Practicality, its the same as a Golf. I parked next to one at the supermarket yesterday, its exactly the same dimensions.

I got 42mpg driving normally and 27mpg driving with the afterburners on.

Seats are lovely and comfy in the standard spec, although I'd spec the optional lumber support for max comfort.

Yes, I would echo Freds comments above AR, the ride is very similar to my Golf although the 135 is on 19"s and my Golf was on 18"s neither have adjustable suspension in fact with the larger wheels you strangely cant spec it on the BMW.

Yes I think a bit of fakery is going on with the engine noise inside the 135 but if you open the window it sounds suitably beefy without being silly, it does pop a bit on startup and some downshifts and as I have only done about 300 miles in it I think they do deepen up and pop a bit more with a few more miles on them.

Practicality, again very very Golf like its the same really almost like BMW have more or less copied a Golf.

MPG Im only getting about 25 ish at the moment but only really done short journeys and the engine will probably start to loosen up a bit with a few more miles so I would say room for improvement.

The seats really fit me and I find them very comfy (I did like the seats in the Gti as well tho) I didn't spec lumbar support and I haven't driven one with it so I cant really comment on if it makes much difference? Should be standard though IMO.

Mine is not true keyless in that you have to press to open the doors which I am glad about, if you had the Comfort pack that has the keyless (comfort) entry so that was a good reason to swerve that particular pack.

I also wanted to keep mine under the £40k limit because I didn't want to be paying the larger £500 per year road luxury tax so I was limited in the end as it came in at £39990 to avoid it.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #79 on: 31 March 2020, 14:45 »
Stick it into Sport+ mode and come swiftly towards somewhere and back off the throttle.... with the windows down.... you'll hear it pop and bang.

I enjoyed that bit a LOT  :cool: