Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529547 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #760 on: 19 September 2016, 17:29 »
On Friday I gave the car a full wash with the usual process (snow foam, wheels, 2 bucket wash, rinse, dry) after our trip down south (914 miles total!).

Also ordered 'road rash' kit from chipex as I have quite a few very small stone chips on the bonnet now in addition to the 2 quite bad ones.

Decided it's probably best to do the full decontamination clean first before doing the touch up paint as don't want the tardis or iron x to mess up the new paint, so this morning I've ordered:

From CYC:

• C2V3 500ml Kit (inc 3 cloths and a spray bottle)
  • Iron X 500ml
  • VP advanced snow foam 5L as it's starting to run low
  • G6 perfect glass - AG fastglass running low and have been wanting to try G6 for a while now
  • Autoglym interior shampoo - seats need a clean

used DW05 discount code of course!

I found they sold tardis in 5L tins on motorgeek.co.uk for the same price as the ebay ones including better/quicker delivery so ordered from there - also found a 5% discount code as well.

planning the decon clean for Thursday/Friday weather dependant as I'm off those days this week, and have roped my parents into toddler sitting so I can get it done! :laugh:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #761 on: 19 September 2016, 23:22 »
On Friday I gave the car a full wash with the usual process (snow foam, wheels, 2 bucket wash, rinse, dry) after our trip down south (914 miles total!).

Also ordered 'road rash' kit from chipex as I have quite a few very small stone chips on the bonnet now in addition to the 2 quite bad ones.

Decided it's probably best to do the full decontamination clean first before doing the touch up paint as don't want the tardis or iron x to mess up the new paint, so this morning I've ordered:

From CYC:

• C2V3 500ml Kit (inc 3 cloths and a spray bottle)
  • Iron X 500ml
  • VP advanced snow foam 5L as it's starting to run low
  • G6 perfect glass - AG fastglass running low and have been wanting to try G6 for a while now
  • Autoglym interior shampoo - seats need a clean

used DW05 discount code of course!

I found they sold tardis in 5L tins on motorgeek.co.uk for the same price as the ebay ones including better/quicker delivery so ordered from there - also found a 5% discount code as well.

planning the decon clean for Thursday/Friday weather dependant as I'm off those days this week, and have roped my parents into toddler sitting so I can get it done! :laugh:

Sounds like some serious detailing about to take place.  Look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.  Hope the weather favours you.  :smiley:

Must get a CYC order in myself, a few bits need topping up.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #762 on: 21 September 2016, 22:26 »
Was going to polish my windscreen but alas a skip wagon threw up a stone and cracked the windscreen! so am no going to bother now!repair on friday...hoping all goes well
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #763 on: 22 September 2016, 20:42 »
Weather was great today so got my decon done :grin: I got a couple of cheap MFs from Aldi for the Tardis/Iron X so I wouldn't have to throw any of my good MFs away. Here's what I got up to - took about 5 hrs in total...

PW rinse
Snow foam and PW rinse
2 bucket wash
PW rinse, open hose rinse and towel dry. Then left to dry in the sun for 10 mins so the car was completely dry.
Covered wheels with opened plastic bags as I didn't want the tardis or iron x stripping any of the C5 I have on the wheels as it's still working well. Secured the bags to the tyres with masking tape :laugh:
Tardis sprayed on and wiped with an MF
PW rinse
Iron X sprayed on and wiped with an MF
PW rinse
Snow foam and PW rinse
Break for lunch :laugh:
Removed/reduced scratches on drivers side back door using Poorboys SSR 2.5 and a wo-wo foam applicator
PW rinse panels that polish was applied to
2 bucket wash
PW rinse, open hose rinse and towel dry. Then left to dry in the sun for whilst I tidied most of the equipment away.
Exterior glass clean with G6 and wo-wo glass cloth.
Applied (very generously) C2V3 to all exterior paintwork and glass, and wiped/buffed using 3x gTechniq MFs (which are very good).
Tidy up
Take photos! :laugh:

Here's the pics...

All the cleaning stuff ready for some hard work!

Tar spots (before)

Wheel protection. Jasper the dog looks on wondering what on earth I'm doing!

Tar spots gone

Iron X doing it's thing...

Scratch on the rear door (also a stone chip visible). The scratch barely needed any elbow grease to remove.

More scratches on the same door

Big scratch gone

Smaller scratches greatly reduced, but didn't want to knacker my shoulder as I still had work to do :cool:

Now for the after photos...

Pretty pleased with my day's work, although when I was putting the C2 on I did notice I missed a couple of tar spots, and also spotted a hologram on the rear passenger door that will need sorted another time. And of course I still have the stone chips to repair :whistle:

Thanks to my parents for toddler sitting, and my Dad even cut the back lawn for me which is nice :laugh:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #764 on: 22 September 2016, 21:00 »
Looks fantastic dave! Probably going down the same routine myself in the next few weeks.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #765 on: 22 September 2016, 21:37 »

All the cleaning stuff ready for some hard work!

Tar spots (before)

Wheel protection. Jasper the dog looks on wondering what on earth I'm doing!

Tar spots gone

Iron X doing it's thing...

Scratch on the rear door (also a stone chip visible). The scratch barely needed any elbow grease to remove.

More scratches on the same door

Big scratch gone

Smaller scratches greatly reduced, but didn't want to knacker my shoulder as I still had work to do :cool:

Now for the after photos...

Pretty pleased with my day's work, although when I was putting the C2 on I did notice I missed a couple of tar spots, and also spotted a hologram on the rear passenger door that will need sorted another time. And of course I still have the stone chips to repair :whistle:

Thanks to my parents for toddler sitting, and my Dad even cut the back lawn for me which is nice :laugh:

Awesome job Dave. Looks absolutely fantastic.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #766 on: 29 September 2016, 23:05 »
Been a bit of a detailing dearth for me of late.  Car has not been washed since before it went into the bodyshop for repairs at end of August. Not had time to do anything with it since getting it back 2 weeks ago due to being very busy.  But it's going in for its 1st Service in the morning and absolutely filthy, and I hate sending my car in like that, as a) they think you don't care about your car and b ) you can't easily see any damage they might have inflicted, so have just managed to squeeze in a quick snow foam and jet wash in the semi dark tonight after getting home from work.  Very rare that I don't give it a full 3 bucket wash, but racing the failing light and nightfall won!  No pics as it's too dark, lol.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #767 on: 30 September 2016, 10:53 »
Mine hasn't been washed for weeks either but surprisingly doesn't look too bad, especially if you squint from a distance...

Still, this lot has just been delivered and along with a couple of other deliveries yet to arrive, will be put to good use :smiley: Eventually :rolleyes:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #768 on: 30 September 2016, 20:56 »
Gave it a quick swill with some jif, scouring pad and an old pair of pants !!

Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #769 on: 30 September 2016, 21:11 »
Gave it a quick swill with some jif, scouring pad and an old pair of pants !!

That old pair of pants must have magical properties.  Beautiful.

And about time your car showed up in a detailing section somewhere.  :whistle:  Best Lapiz I see.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual