Author Topic: molegti - '89 8v GTI  (Read 21755 times)

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
Re: molegti - '89 8v GTI
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2011, 14:58 »
Here is a picture of the chopped spring next to its replacement. Not entirely sure how it passed its MOT if it was like this there was no preload whatsoever I actually took the strut apart without spring compressors.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2011, 11:52 »
I've painted the front of the car and to be honest its not good. Im not even going to take a picture until ive done something about it. Most of it will be hidden by the arches and its better than dents and rust but I still expected it to turn out better.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2011, 11:05 »
Im doing really badly with the photographs. MOT was yesterday and it was a fail, despite having rebuilt the front calipers, replace the flexies and hard lines it seems the back needed similar attention. :grin:
On top of this I needed a new CV boot, rear wheel bearing and exhaust centre section. I dont fancy tackling it my self its a bit hard getting under the car with it being on grass. Further update to follow once I get a price for the work.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2011, 09:34 »
It has an MOT!!!! £330 lighter and the owrks done and if this wasn't a Mk2 Golf then this would be then end of the project thread however as all owners know this is only the start of the work. The battery light is on constantly and that has to be a priority fix I also need a couple of arches for the front as the pattern ones I bought are dire so I never bothered fitting them. Then a few other bits and pieces to fix inside. I've added a nice mobile phone shot of it pre-mot and also what aI believe is the culpret for the alternator problem.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2011, 12:17 »
Well got a new brush/ regulator unit and it still didn't fix the problem although the alternator is now kicking out over 14v instead of the 13.7 or so it was doing before. The battery has started to die overnight and I've ckecked to parasitic drain which isn't huge so it looks like the battery has bought the farm.
Some of the other jobs to do:

Wing mirror adjusters need nuts.
Oil and filter change
Small coolant leak somewhere probably to be expected given I froze the engine last year.
Getting a bit sick of the backbox, stainless steel universal type way to loud. The centre pipe was welded at the last MOT so I suspect that will probably give way shortly.
Speedo is bouncing around - new cable time.
Sort out the shocking job i've made of the paintwork.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2011, 12:24 by molegti »

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2012, 21:56 »
I've changed the speedo cable but it still vibrates a bit. Oil and filter are changed and i've identified the coolant leak as coming from the heater matrix. I've started to strip the air box apart and will upload photos as soon as I find the cable for my camera.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2012, 16:27 »
Found a cable for my camera. So I can upload some obligatory heater matrix pics replacement pictres. It really is a fatherless son of a job I'm afraid so say. Nothing technical just a right arse on and I still need to replace the ducting but at least its in.

One of the dash pulled apart.

And one of the offending heater matrix itself. I think this died when I froze the engine last year.

« Last Edit: 02 March 2012, 22:50 by molegti »

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2012, 16:31 »
Thought I'd take the opportunity to post a picture of the front calipers I rebuilt before the MOT last june. New seals from Bigg Red and a new piston from Brakesint after I somehow managed to snap the old one. Despite these, new disks pads hoses and hard lines I still spent a fortune getting it MOT'd.

« Last Edit: 02 March 2012, 22:50 by molegti »

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2012, 21:49 »
Hot air at last no ducting so it blows everywhere but I really think a working heater is such the in thing this time of year. :laugh:
« Last Edit: 07 February 2012, 10:21 by molegti »

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2012, 22:39 »
Couple more picture updated Ive started to get the dash back together and rewired the stereo so it has an ignition live now. Also started to get the centre console ready for the VDO gauges. Still far more work to do than I have time. I've noticed a rumbling noise when cornering hard so either a wheel bearing or a CV joint is on its way out. It really is constant maintainence with these cars.

All the other jobs are still need doing but at least Ive fixed the heater matrix in time for the warm weather.  :sad: