Author Topic: Sahara sand storm  (Read 9364 times)

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
Sahara sand storm
« on: 10 April 2015, 12:54 »
Calling all fellow car enthusiasts!!

Watch out for the Sahara sand storm that is due this weekend!! Try and rinse it off asap to keep your motors paint and glass safe.

Good luck and may the force be with you

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Sahara sand storm
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2015, 15:51 »
I know, saw it on the news, so much for my planned detailing weekend  :cry:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2015, 18:51 »

Gutted eh! Looks like you'll see a fair bit of it too!

On a separate note I've sent you an email about a little competition.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2015, 22:44 »

Gutted eh! Looks like you'll see a fair bit of it too!

On a separate note I've sent you an email about a little competition.

Damn that Sahara cloud  :angry:

Just quickly skim read email but looks good.  Will email you over the weekend Neil  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2015, 15:24 »
Okay you detailing nerds. I'm in Leeds (So thought I would be safe) but my car was covered this morning. But WHY is it only mine, and a few other cars in my street? The 15 year old corsas and the likes which litter my street seem unaffected. But the cars with usually very cared for paint are coated. Why? Is it something to do with wax or?
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2015, 16:12 »
Okay you detailing nerds. I'm in Leeds (So thought I would be safe) but my car was covered this morning. But WHY is it only mine, and a few other cars in my street? The 15 year old corsas and the likes which litter my street seem unaffected. But the cars with usually very cared for paint are coated. Why? Is it something to do with wax or?

No, it's because you called us nerds  :tongue: :laugh:  Had rain in the south east today but barely any sand in it...yet.

No idea really, but if only the waxed cars have it still on then suggests it could be something in the wax making it adhere??

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2015, 16:45 »
 :grin: It was said affectionately I promise

This pic doesn't do it justice, but I think it's to do with the beading.

It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2015, 17:00 »
^^

Ahh, the lovely green Mk2  :drool:

You've achieved the elusive sand beading  :laugh:   Mine was the same last time there was a Sahara sand episode.   It looked like this:

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2015, 17:01 »
Yeah it could be the beading as this encourages the water to gather in tony puddles, then when you drive off it just runs off your paint. If you look at a car that's had no care the water kinda forms in 'sheets' instead.

Weve been forcast for tomorrow so I gave the bug a clean and tucked that up in the garage, so while its in there it's already had the wheels sealed again and the black gloss bits waxed - twice!!! My car will just have to sit it out!

Ps - I'm the king of the detailing nerds  :grin: :laugh: :shocked:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2015, 17:04 »
Yeah it could be the beading as this encourages the water to gather in tony puddles, then when you drive off it just runs off your paint. If you look at a car that's had no care the water kinda forms in 'sheets' instead.

Weve been forcast for tomorrow so I gave the bug a clean and tucked that up in the garage, so while its in there it's already had the wheels sealed again and the black gloss bits waxed - twice!!! My car will just have to sit it out!

Ps - I'm the king of the detailing nerds  :grin: :laugh: :shocked:

Agree it's the water beading causing it.  Always a down side to everything  :sad:

I'm supposed to by cleaning mine tommorow and waxing it, but sadly no garage to tuck it up in  :cry:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual