Author Topic: Help decision time !  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Fazermeg

• Not said much yet
Help decision time !
« on: 23 January 2020, 11:04 »
Hi folks I have a problem , do I pull the pin and buy a Mk 7.5 R hatch or wait for the Mk 8 Gti . Getting a half decent deal on an R obviously at the moment. The R is fairly vanilla with just a wheel upgrade.

Loosing sleep over this one , all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Help decision time !
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2020, 11:24 »
think you would have to wait the best part of a year to get yourself into a MK8 GTI. AFAIK, they aren't announcing them officially until summer, and you can anticipate 1st deliveries of December / Jan next year before they hit UK shores.

The other thing to consider is the MK7.5 is available now and you know the price, the Co2 ratings and most importantly what it looks like. My thoughts are if you love the current 7.5R enough to consider buying one, then you obviously like it, however what if you wait until summer for the MK8 GTI and neither like it or it's price point, by then you would have lost the ability to purchase a new R (as they are stock orders only even now), and would be forced to look at the 2nd hand market ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2020, 11:29 »
If you are considering a mk8 GTi, why not add a 7.5 GTi into the mix? Possibly better value than an equivalent R?

I wouldn't buy a new model GTi for the first year, past model launced seem to improve after a few initial problems are resolved?

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2020, 11:34 »
Hi folks I have a problem , do I pull the pin and buy a Mk 7.5 R hatch or wait for the Mk 8 Gti . Getting a half decent deal on an R obviously at the moment. The R is fairly vanilla with just a wheel upgrade.

Loosing sleep over this one , all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you really want the new cabin/tech the decision is actually a no brainer as the MK 7.5 run out in standard form includes a lot of items that were previously optional when model was released, so its not really that vanilla (and maybe these items are optional again on the MK 8)

The MK 7.5 being the completion of the series and so the best that model has been. You will be getting a lot of car for a likely a great deal and you Likely be paying less than a new MK 8 GTI

I switched from an R to a GTI but as its the TCR I kept the BHP, I would definitely still select a 300 BHP AWD over a likely 245 BHP GTI that may cost more than the MK 7.5 R that can have now.

These questions are always tough as everyone has their own little needs and preferences but on a high level if you can get a really good deal on a new stock R, then given the MK 8 is only really offering new cabin and some tech as its attraction then why pay a load more when the MK 7.5 cockpit is a really nice place to be anyway.

I am only speculating on prices, so be good to know what the R will cost you all in against what we think the new MK 8 GTI/R will be?

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2020, 13:01 »
A vanilla R now comes loaded with kit so unless you need a heated front screen or Dynaudio then you don’t need anything added.
So long as you’re getting a massive discount then it makes perfect sense to buy now because the car will still be in good demand for quite a few years yet, shoring up used values owing to its cult status.
The fact BMW and Mercedes have taken away the unique selling points of the R (and less popular S3) is highly unlikely to remove the cult status the mk7 R has, and if anything those other additions not being any superior to the R on the road will only add to the R’s enduring status.

That means if you do suddenly get the urge to buy an uglier car with fancy coloured graphics on the dash iPad next year the 7.5R won’t have shed so much money that swapping it for a new car would be unviable unless you’ve only put a tiny deposit down and have masses of negative equity.

A 7.5R makes for an excellent purchase right now but only at the right price.

There are some amazingly priced sub 1 year old cars around now too.
These would be my choice as they’ve already taken the initial massive depreciation hit.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Fazermeg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2020, 14:09 »
Tahanks folks all good sensible advice, now time to crunch the numbers.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2020, 14:11 »
If you are considering a mk8 GTi, why not add a 7.5 GTi into the mix? Possibly better value than an equivalent R?

I wouldn't buy a new model GTi for the first year, past model launced seem to improve after a few initial problems are resolved?

It would have to be the 7.5 all day long for me..... as said early you'll be waiting at least a year before you see the mk8 and with the completely new dash and tech do you honestly think they won't have lots of teething problems with the early ones?!

I have to agree with Clubsports post above too, why aren't you considering the 7.5 GTI? I moved from an R to the GTI and honestly..... I personally prefer it! To me it feels more fun to drive, cost less and it is more exclusive than the R! Ok you don't get the crazy traction off the line but I never used to launch the R out of fear of breaking something anyway!! :grin:

Get one and enjoy it now..... who knows what tomorrow holds!!!

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2020, 14:51 »
that above  ;)
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras