Author Topic: twin headlight conversion  (Read 2503 times)

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
twin headlight conversion
« on: 07 April 2004, 10:19 »
yo there,

ive just stuck a twin headlight Gti grill on my originally single headlight-ed 1.3, not sure how u wire up the 2 centre lights tho... any ideas...?! im also looking for a lowering kit, so if anyones got one lying around SELL IT TO ME!!!... cheers

Alex

Offline benjam_in

• Here all the time
Re:twin headlight conversion
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2004, 10:32 »
modulator has a mk2 suspention kit for sale in the for sale part! Has for the headlights they are wired straight of the mainones!

Golf Mk2 Gti 1988

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2004, 10:52 »
Really easily! The high beam wire, which is yellow, goes the H3 bulb, and the brown wire goes to the metal casing on the spot. Actually, thinking about it, it might be the white wire which is the high beam...

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2004, 22:48 »
I do indeed have a suspension kit for sale, if your interested let me know.

As for the lights, put a set of relays on them, it will make it so much better and you can higher wattage bulbs too.

http://www.matey-matey.com/uprated_headlight_wiring.shtml

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2004, 23:28 »
Is it really just as simple as putting an extra relay/pair of relays in there? I thought there was other stuff like removing the dim dip etc.. Or are you just simplifying? What difference will just putting two relays make, any?

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2004, 23:40 »
You just use the current wiring as the switching feed that operates the relays and you take the feed for the lights direct from the battery so you get minimal voltage drop. Dont forget the fuses.

I have 2 relays and have wired mine up so that each relay does each side of the car. Also the dim dip system on mine still works and I have never had a problem with it.

Also because your increasing the current carrying capabilities by using new wires direct from the battery you can safely increase the lighting output by fitting higher wattage bulbs without any risk of damaging the existing wiring.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2004, 23:43 by modulater »