Author Topic: Panoramic Sunroof  (Read 6172 times)

Offline Rh83

• Not said much yet
Re: Panoramic Sunroof
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2018, 12:45 »
Have the sunroof on my 5dr 7.5PP. It's a joy! Especially with the heatwave we've had. It's not full panoramic but so far so good in terms of creaks or knocks. Not for all but was right choice for us. Only downside is the partial open which still haven't figured if it's possible (if at all)

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2018, 13:19 »
I had one on my previous car, a Mk7 R, it creaked constantly and the only thing that would stop it was applying Krytox oil along the back rubber seal every couple of weeks. Also, i'm a tall git and the lower headlining was a problem for me.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2018, 17:01 »
Have the sunroof on my 5dr 7.5PP. It's a joy! Especially with the heatwave we've had. It's not full panoramic but so far so good in terms of creaks or knocks. Not for all but was right choice for us. Only downside is the partial open which still haven't figured if it's possible (if at all)

On my Mk7 Gti you push the rear of the switch up (towards the sky) to tilt the roof up, the same switch you pull back (towards the rear of the car) to slide the roof open

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2018, 14:26 »
If you desperately want a sunroof, buy a Mk2 GTi. My 16v was 27 years old a couple of weeks ago and the sunroof is leak free, creak and squeak free and has basically never given me a minute's bother.
I do, however, have to crank it by hand!!! :grin: :grin:

Offline Rh83

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2018, 14:49 »

On my Mk7 Gti you push the rear of the switch up (towards the sky) to tilt the roof up, the same switch you pull back (towards the rear of the car) to slide the roof open

Thanks for this! Will give it a go tonight

dervy

« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2018, 16:08 »
I had the pano roof on my Mk7 GTD, largely because I liked the contrast with the pure white paintwork. My car was an early model, July 2013, and in the 4 years I had it I didn't experience a single rattle or leak. However, a good friend of mine who works in a VW dealership told me that leaks and rattles are a common fault and largely down to not having a "sunroof service"! I don't have one on my 7.5R and I did miss the light it brought into the cabin at first, but I didn't open it that often - suspect I would have this summer though. As others have said the term "panoramic" is misleading. From outside it certainly looks as though it is, inside it is just as sunroof. In response to Andykram, back in 1986 I bought a Mk2 GTI, it was 6 months old when I bought it and the sunroof leaked like hell from the day I bought to when i chopped it in 3 years later. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2018, 17:33 »
If you desperately want a sunroof, buy a Mk2 GTi. My 16v was 27 years old a couple of weeks ago and the sunroof is leak free, creak and squeak free and has basically never given me a minute's bother.

Mines still spot on too Andy. It's just a pity it doesn't tilt. An Audi 80 sunroof will fit, tilt and slide, but the tolerances are pretty fine, so could incur some rubbing paint if it's not bang on.

With regards to the Mk7, it was the arm twister that sold us the 7 Match. I loved it and it gave no problems at all.  I had the back half of the rood wrapped in gloss black to match it too. Just a shame the rest of the car was so dull. I quite miss not having one in the Tig, but not sure I'd spend the sort of money they are as a new car option.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2018, 21:20 »
Purely out of interest, how do these large sunroofs hold up if the car is rolled? I assume the glass is laminated but is it as strong as a solid roof??
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2018, 23:50 »

Mines still spot on too Andy. It's just a pity it doesn't tilt. An Audi 80 sunroof will fit, tilt and slide, but the tolerances are pretty fine, so could incur some rubbing paint if it's not bang on.

I'm confused as I've heard this mentioned a few times. I have my roof on tilt all the time. Having used the button to open the roof as normal, a quick push back of the button (as if you wanted to close it) stops the roof wherever it is in the sliding process. I normally stop it just before the front starts to lift up.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2018, 07:58 »

I'm confused as I've heard this mentioned a few times. I have my roof on tilt all the time. Having used the button to open the roof as normal, a quick push back of the button (as if you wanted to close it) stops the roof wherever it is in the sliding process. I normally stop it just before the front starts to lift up.

I think that dubber36 was referring to the sunroof in his mk2 Golf GTI when he said it didn’t tilt.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl