Author Topic: MK7 double din stereo  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: MK7 double din stereo
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2018, 13:19 »
OP stated that movies and videos would be to keep the kids amused.

A game of I spy? Strong sedatives? :whistle:

I don't have kids so probably aren't the most credible person to comment but since I used to be one I feel I have some experience in the subject :wink: When I was young, three of us in the back, our car didn't even have a radio yet somehow we survived long journeys. Why do kids these days need to have constant third party stimulation or they trash the place? Something else I don't understand :rolleyes:

I can relate to that, being a child of the sixties and parents car didn’t have a radio :smiley:. We used to play observation games like ‘I spy’, spotting cars of a certain colour, registration numbers containing certain letters / numbers etc. and the time seemed to pass quite quickly on long journeys.

However, times change, and IMO not always for the better :sad:.

Perhaps I should put my slippers and cardi on and go and smoke my pipe quietly in the corner in my easy chair :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2018, 13:34 »
There is an Alpine aftermarket unit available, but installation isn't a job for a novice...

https://youtu.be/_WnZnn-gfNU

:undecided:

Well it looks pretty smart, £1500 fitted! But why would anyone want to watch a film in the car? I don't understand :cry:

No I've never seen the need to watch movies in the car either, but if I had kids i'd maybe settle for a tablet computer, maybe a subscription to Netflix or NowTV movies and something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headrest-Tablet-Lamicall-Holder-reader/dp/B0798FZWS3/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534595247&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tablet+holder+for+car&smid=A3AJ0GNLXXLZX8&dpPl=1&dpID=41TvHAxYuYL&ref=plSrch
7.5 GTD

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2018, 21:10 »
Thanks guys for your replies, much appreciated.
As covered above, yup the entertainment was more for the kids not me, I don't know really watch movies at home let alone in the car.
So from what I've been reading above a new stereo ain't really a possibility and where possible it's an extortionate amount 😭

Ok, so have a any of you guys made any in car entertainment modifications to your mk7's?
Sound system upgrades?
If so are speaker upgrades straight forward?

Thanks in advance guys
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2018, 09:12 »
If you want more sound.... the Helix plug and play amp and sub is the way forward. VW sell it themselves (but cheaper elsewhere). Its sort of possible to fit yourself if you are cool with popping panels and bending your wrist through 180 degrees. Think the Helix is about 400 quid and definitely adds a lot of punch to your audio.

I think you might be able to swap out the speakers to the DynAudio ones too... might have seen someone say about that. If you can, then the parts are probably another 500 quid.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC