Author Topic: MK7 double din stereo  (Read 2656 times)

Offline asif

• I live here
MK7 double din stereo
« on: 17 August 2018, 14:14 »
Hi All,

My first proper question, have any of you changed the stereo in your cars to an aftermarket double din?
I currently have the smaller screen as it's a 13 plate with DAB, Nav and what not but wanted a bigger screen and one I can play movies and videos on, for the kids especially to be honest.

If you have upgraded then can you post some pics please, also any info on a place that does a matching piano black finish fascia which I presume I'd need. As I'm worried how a different type of plastic would look and most likely ruin the nice look in the car at the minute.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong part of the forum to post this, please sign post me if it is.

Thanks in advance
Asif
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: MK7 double din stereo
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2018, 16:37 »
The issue would be whether or not there was enough depth in the recess to fit a different unit. Your current fascia is just a shallow screen and all the radio gubbins is in the glovebox.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2018, 16:45 »
I was in vw the other week and they had a advert for a kenwood upgrade, it was bloody expensive but if the VW techs can fit it it can’t be too hard, the only thing I’d worry about is the MMI controls a lot of functions on the car

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2018, 17:38 »
I'm sure the Kenwood upgrade is for units in older cars like rns510s. As Dubber has said the dash is only a screen with very little space behind.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2018, 23:40 »
There is an Alpine aftermarket unit available, but installation isn't a job for a novice...

https://youtu.be/_WnZnn-gfNU

:undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2018, 09:15 »
There is an Alpine aftermarket unit available, but installation isn't a job for a novice...

https://youtu.be/_WnZnn-gfNU

:undecided:

Well it looks pretty smart, £1500 fitted! But why would anyone want to watch a film in the car? I don't understand :cry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2018, 09:20 »
You can get nav pro upgrade for that money!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2018, 10:13 »
Well it looks pretty smart, £1500 fitted! But why would anyone want to watch a film in the car? I don't understand :cry:

I don’t understand either, unless the OP spends lots of time parked up in his car - enough time to watch a film. It’s illegal in the UK to have ‘video in motion’ enabled, and it would also be likely to invalidate your insurance;

http://www.comand.co.uk/index.php/video--tv-in-motion

OP stated that movies and videos would be to keep the kids amused. Much safer to get a couple of cheap portable DVD / Blu-Ray players for the kids to use in the back of the car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2018, 10:41 »
OP stated that movies and videos would be to keep the kids amused.

A game of I spy? Strong sedatives? :whistle:

I don't have kids so probably aren't the most credible person to comment but since I used to be one I feel I have some experience in the subject :wink: When I was young, three of us in the back, our car didn't even have a radio yet somehow we survived long journeys. Why do kids these days need to have constant third party stimulation or they trash the place? Something else I don't understand :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2018, 11:16 »
OP stated that movies and videos would be to keep the kids amused.

A game of I spy? Strong sedatives? :whistle:

I don't have kids so probably aren't the most credible person to comment but since I used to be one I feel I have some experience in the subject :wink: When I was young, three of us in the back, our car didn't even have a radio yet somehow we survived long journeys. Why do kids these days need to have constant third party stimulation or they trash the place? Something else I don't understand :rolleyes:

I can relate to that, being a child of the sixties and parents car didn’t have a radio :smiley:. We used to play observation games like ‘I spy’, spotting cars of a certain colour, registration numbers containing certain letters / numbers etc. and the time seemed to pass quite quickly on long journeys.

However, times change, and IMO not always for the better :sad:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl