Author Topic: Problem removing coolant flange  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Mazdac

• Just got here
Problem removing coolant flange
« on: 01 July 2018, 15:42 »
Hi, I have a 2001 mk4 gti petrol and I’m trying to remove the coolant flange as there’s a leak around it. So I removed the sensor and three hoses and came to undo the two bolts. Well, I say bolts, actually they were small studs with nuts. I removed one and it came out in one piece, nut still attached to stud. For the other only the nut came off leaving the stud in place. This is where I have my problem; there is a metal bracket attached to a metal pipe and this bracket is over the coolant flange and held on by this stud and nut.  I cannot move this pipe out the way as there isn’t sufficient play in it.
If I had managed to remove the stud with nut then it would have been ok. Anyone know if I have just been unlucky here? Any ideas how to attempt to  remove the stud, it looks fairly fragile: I seem to remember seeing putting another nut against the first in a lock nut set up, but I don’t have enough spare thread for this. Or know what the pipe is and whether it is possible to remove it? Thanks.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: Problem removing coolant flange
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 12:50 »
pic would help
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)