Author Topic: Back in a 7.5R  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
Back in a 7.5R
« on: 18 June 2018, 11:56 »
Well, I’m back.

After selling my beloved 6R and a year or so in the wilderness in a Seat Leon Cupra I am finally back to the fold with a shiny new 7.5R.

Spec of the new arrival is:-

5dr DSG.
Deep Pearl Black
Titan Black Vienna Leather with heated front seats
19” Pretoria Black alloys
90% rear tinted glass
LED headlights with Dynamic headlight assist
Discover Navigation Pro
Dynaudio Excite soundpack
KESSY
DCC
Panoramic sunroof
lane assist with Dynamic light assist including TSR
Winter Pack

Already have some aftermarket parts to go on the car:-

19x8.5” ET45 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 in gloss black with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres.
Brembo 4 pot calipers with Vagbremtechnic caliper adapters, Brembo pads, HEL braided lines, Clubsport S discs, RS3 Vented dust shields and RS3 brake ducts.
Revo lower engine mount and full REVO engine and transmission mounts.
Wagner intercooler
Forge Carbon intake and intake pipe
CTS 90 degree intake pipe and muffler delete.
CTS discharge pipe
CTS throttle pipe
REVO Scorpion 3” downpipe and decat section ( although may go with 200 cell race cat)

Tuning will be through Statller, who use ETuners mapping for the engine and DSG.

parts on the list to get are:-

Catback exhaust system - although it may end up as a full system as I will probably go for a 3.5” downpipe.
Big turbo kit. This will either be a TTE, Turbo Technics or EFR...haven’t made my mind up fully yet.
Lowering will be Racingline springs as I have DCC.
Rear ARB upgrade.
Maybe WMI but haven’t made my mind up yet.
carbon mirror caps
some kind of splitter
a rear spoiler extension.

Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
Re: Back in a 7.5R
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2018, 12:26 »
Welcome back John. I see by the list you have'nt changed.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2018, 12:39 »
Congrats, sounds like someone's been into the MK7 tuning scene a lot :tongue:  If I a may ask, are you tuning it for drag racing? track? or just private use? Any particular power goals? Up to 500bhp I think your mods list is ok as is but above that you're starting to look at reinforcing the motor imo.

I only got a few remarks: if you intend to track the car I'd definitely avoid the CSS discs and instead complement the 4pots with a set that has proper, symmetrical cooling (I'd also avoid drilled designs). For the rest of the parts that are already here (there) I assume they were on your Cupra and will be just transferred to the R?

Also curious as to why you want to change the Pretorias with those TD 1.3's. Looks wise there's nothing that comes even close to Prets on a 7/7.5 R or CS and if my sources are right about the TD's they are ~2kg heavier per wheel (9.6 vs 11.5)?

Re the turbo options, I'd also consider the LM500 v2 from Germany. Decent price, upgraded core and plug n play solution (IS38 housing) with very good results so far (again assuming you are aiming the 500bhp mark and not much above that).

You should definitely keep us posted with updates!  :wink:

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2018, 13:07 »
Welcome back, the Mk6 was a beast.  Looking forward to reading the build thread.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2018, 14:30 »
Look forward to seeing you rather well dressed at a drag strip in the future

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2018, 14:54 »
Nice blacked out spec! Sounds like it will be awesome. I'm Sheffield based by will keep an eye out if you're around (assuming as you are using Statler - they are good guys, only used them for servicing on a Porsche but Steve seemed sound).
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2018, 20:47 »
Welcome back John. I see by the list you have'nt changed.

LOL, never will.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2018, 21:07 »
Congrats, sounds like someone's been into the MK7 tuning scene a lot :tongue:  If I a may ask, are you tuning it for drag racing? track? or just private use? Any particular power goals? Up to 500bhp I think your mods list is ok as is but above that you're starting to look at reinforcing the motor imo.

I only got a few remarks: if you intend to track the car I'd definitely avoid the CSS discs and instead complement the 4pots with a set that has proper, symmetrical cooling (I'd also avoid drilled designs). For the rest of the parts that are already here (there) I assume they were on your Cupra and will be just transferred to the R?

Also curious as to why you want to change the Pretorias with those TD 1.3's. Looks wise there's nothing that comes even close to Prets on a 7/7.5 R or CS and if my sources are right about the TD's they are ~2kg heavier per wheel (9.6 vs 11.5)?

Re the turbo options, I'd also consider the LM500 v2 from Germany. Decent price, upgraded core and plug n play solution (IS38 housing) with very good results so far (again assuming you are aiming the 500bhp mark and not much above that).

You should definitely keep us posted with updates!  :wink:

I’ve been in the MKV, MKVI and MKVII tuning scene and do a little drag racing and track work.

Most of the kit I have is a hand over from the Cupra.

Ultimately the mods will develop further, but the parts I have now will go on to start with. In the past I have had AP racing two piece 362mm discs with project Mu pads and 8 pots along with A8 rear discs.

For power fuelling will need injectors, HPFP and LPFP uprating. The target is not fixed, but definitely over 500bhp. There are several cars around that have lasted well over 500bhp and over a year. Generally boost kept at under 2 bar is the level where the TSI has long term longevity.

The Prets are lovely, but the 1.3’s are stronger and will be used for day to day duties. I have five sets of alloys, from lightweight Oz Ultraleggeras through to TDPR 1.2’s as well as Hoosier drag radials and so I’m pretty much covered in the wheel dept.

As for the turbo choice the LM500 V2 is a good shout and another to consider. 😎👍

My previous motors all had experimental mods on them from Nitrous to Owen Development turbos and hybrids, so in not afraid to test new mods. It should be a fun ride. 😋

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2018, 21:23 »
I’ve been in the MKV, MKVI and MKVII tuning scene and do a little drag racing and track work.

Most of the kit I have is a hand over from the Cupra.

Ultimately the mods will develop further, but the parts I have now will go on to start with. In the past I have had AP racing two piece 362mm discs with project Mu pads and 8 pots along with A8 rear discs.

For power fuelling will need injectors, HPFP and LPFP uprating. The target is not fixed, but definitely over 500bhp. There are several cars around that have lasted well over 500bhp and over a year. Generally boost kept at under 2 bar is the level where the TSI has long term longevity.

The Prets are lovely, but the 1.3’s are stronger and will be used for day to day duties. I have five sets of alloys, from lightweight Oz Ultraleggeras through to TDPR 1.2’s as well as Hoosier drag radials and so I’m pretty much covered in the wheel dept.

As for the turbo choice the LM500 V2 is a good shout and another to consider. 😎👍

My previous motors all had experimental mods on them from Nitrous to Owen Development turbos and hybrids, so in not afraid to test new mods. It should be a fun ride. 😋

Agreed on the fueling and yes, several cars near the 500bhp mark have been fine with basically just a BT and supporting peripherals, it's when you go over 550 where typically another "wave" of upgrades is needed from what I've seen but wasn't sure where you're aiming. I see you're spoiled for choice on rims, that's never bad a thing  :tongue:

Wait, you didn't happen to run a twincharger Polo GTI several years back?? Username tells me something...

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2018, 21:49 »
I’m pretty sure you were floating around when I got my mk5 back in 2007??
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership