Author Topic: VW performance Golf seats  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
VW performance Golf seats
« on: 16 January 2018, 09:04 »
Just something that got me thinking. Whilst the seats in the GTD I have are very supportive (I assume they are the same basic seat as the "R" and "GTI" models with different coverings ?), having been in a few different cars over the holidays it did get me wondering.

I went out with 3 friends, two with VAG cars and one with a Mercedes Benz. My friends have an Audi A3 sportback (S-Line), a Golf MK7 R-Line (not R) with the Ergo-active seats) and a MB A220D AMD Line.

All 3 of these cars have seat cushions where are extendable for under thigh support. I hadn't really thought about this before, but when I extended the cushion on all 3 cars, it transformed the seats from very to extremely comfortable. I'm quite tall (6'1") and have quite long legs, and after a long journey in the GTD, whilst the seats do pretty well, the one area that's just starting to ache are my upper legs.

I was just wondering why even the lower trim level R-Line and GT models Golf's have extendable seat cushions but the performance models don't ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: VW performance Golf seats
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2018, 09:09 »
Its an interesting question actually.

All of the repmobiles I've driven in the last dozen years or so have had that, but my GTD Mk7's obviously haven't.

It does make a difference to comfort on long journeys for sure.

I guess performance and comfort aren't something VW consider to be the same thing.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2018, 09:34 »
Not just in the Golf, the Tiguan SEL has the same extending part on the seat base where as the R line doesn't have it. Doesn't make sense to me.

The seats in the Gold are some of the worst I've had in a car in years. I'm not saying they are uncomfortable but they are far from the best. I'm 6'2" and could do with the extra support.

The side bolsters are made of the cheapest cr@pest material I've seen in a car as well. It's not like they don't make great seats like in the CC which were fantastic.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2018, 09:42 »
You'd think that it would be offered as a paid for upgrade - "superior seat" for only £2000
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2018, 09:50 »
You'd think that it would be offered as a paid for upgrade - "superior seat" for only £2000

The beancounters at VW are on the phone to Wolfsburg now saying 'I have an idea to make more money, even more that that tw@at that thought of making the free colour Ribena.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 10:10 »
LOL

There's actually more to car manufacturing bean counting than that though. Otherwise you'd offer a million options...

No, you have to limit your options to things people will buy, otherwise the cost of designing, contracting, stocking etc becomes a drag on your bottom line.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2018, 11:09 »
Always annoyed me that VW didn't make more of an effort with the GTI/R seats tbh. In fact I think they were nicer in the MK5/6 with the integrated headrests - at least they looked a bit more special. Extending seat base / thigh support would be nice, loads of similar cars have it.

My biggest bugbear with them was that even at their lowest setting the seat still felt too high. And I'm a bit of a short arse so I can only imagine what its like for a 6+ footer.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2018, 13:35 »
I'm shortish with short legs and I have my seat as high as it goes. Low down seats I hate because I can't see over the dash then!

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2018, 13:40 »
For me, this really is an important question.  I've had my Mk 7 GTD for nearly 3 yrs (had a Mk 6 GTD for 3yrs before that) and was fully expecting to swap to a nearly new Mk 7.5 GTI in a couple of months time BUT the lack of under thigh support in the seats is really threatening this.  I'm only 6ft tall but 'all my height is in my legs' so I have no under-thigh support at all - the lack of the extendable seat squab that just about all the competitors offer is starting to give me bad upper leg/lower back ache after decent journeys.  Gutting for me because I have loved both my GTD's and was very much looking forward to swapping it for a Mk 7.5 GTI but if I can't sort this out I will have to go for another option (prob 330d Touring with M Sport seats with extendable squabs).

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2018, 16:30 »
Always annoyed me that VW didn't make more of an effort with the GTI/R seats tbh. In fact I think they were nicer in the MK5/6 with the integrated headrests - at least they looked a bit more special. Extending seat base / thigh support would be nice, loads of similar cars have it.

My biggest bugbear with them was that even at their lowest setting the seat still felt too high. And I'm a bit of a short arse so I can only imagine what its like for a 6+ footer.

Especially if you are built like me, 29-30" leg and 6'2" so really long body.