Author Topic: Anyone wanting to disable keyless opening  (Read 19241 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Anyone wanting to disable keyless opening
« on: 29 November 2017, 17:27 »
If you're afraid of your car getting stolen by way of extending your keyless rang like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera

You can disable the keyless opening bit with OBDeleven by going to central electronics, then go to long coding and near the top you will see Kessy and it will say Installed. Tap on it and change it to not installed and then tap and hold the green tick, job done.

Now the car will not lock or open without pressing the buttons on the remote, mirrors still fold with puddle lights on and so on.

When you unlock your car with the key fob and get in you need to hold the key to where the key blade would go into the barrel on a non keyless car. This will then turn the ignition and then you start the car with the button as usual.

When you stop you stop the car as usual with the button, get out and lock the car with the key fob.

This is what OBDeleven screen will look like when it is turned off, hope this helps.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Anyone wanting to disable keyless opening
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2017, 17:36 »
Interesting!
It would be even better if you could just disable the unlock part.... and that it would still work without having to hold the key fob at the steering cowl...

I do like the keyless feature though so I'd be very reluctant to go and disable it based on a couple of news stories.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2017, 17:38 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2017, 18:33 »
Interesting!
It would be even better if you could just disable the unlock part.... and that it would still work without having to hold the key fob at the steering cowl...

I do like the keyless feature though so I'd be very reluctant to go and disable it based on a couple of news stories.

I'll have to have a better look another day Joe because I have a bad back and I hurt it even more getting in and put of the car today but I will have to have a better look another day.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2017, 18:40 »
My Google-fu proved strong B-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2017, 18:44 »

I'd say more than just fear and speculation! It's pretty real....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2017, 19:02 »
My Google-fu proved strong B-)

Yes, I knew that Kessy would need to be deactivated but what was the (ID 05) from installation, DISABLE in gateway") bit you mentioned.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2017, 19:58 »

I'd say more than just fear and speculation! It's pretty real....

Yep but I’ve yet to see a definitive report of a Golf - or any other VW for that matter - being taken in this manner. It’s all been BMW’s and Mercs that I’ve seen.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2017, 20:27 »
The Germans tested all of German cars, all were possible... Golf gti specifically tested

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2017, 23:24 »
Better get a Farraday pouch from amazon which blocks the key signal. You can still enjoy the keyless option while being safe from the theft method in those videos.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2017, 23:24 »
Turning it off or leaving it on will make not a jot of difference. If a thieving scum bag wants your car then all he'll do is break in to your house and get the keys. Bit more effort on his part but it won't matter either way. Cars are stolen to order now and no amount of protection or turning keyless off matters.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.