Author Topic: Anyone find ACC brakes very late?  (Read 9765 times)

Offline gtidsgmk7

• Just got here
Re: Anyone find ACC brakes very late?
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2017, 16:40 »
New owner of a mk7 here, upgraded from a mk5 and ACC was one of the main selling points for me as I do M25,A40 into London. Stop start on the motorway I find it excellent and really makes it easier. I put it into Eco and the furthest distance and handles it all well.

80mph 70mph down to stop is a bit hairy though as it doesn't anticipate so I sometimes take over for that. 

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2017, 16:51 »
About the only thing that bugs me about the ACC is the gap it leaves to the car in front. I know the gap is set by a combination of speed and minimum braking distance requirements, but I tend to find that others are using the "gap" to sneak into causing the car to brake or further slow down.

I know it's only trying to protect me, so I'll have to live with it, but apart from that, I think it's brilliant especially with DSG and the fact that it's standard fit. For me though, I find the biggest use of the "system" is the speed limiter. With so many speed cameras round my way, I've got in the habit of setting the speed limiter to either 32 or 42mph (depending on what road I'm on) when I first start my journey to work in the morning, to ensure i'm not collecting any points for speeding, as It's quite easy to go in modern cars.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2017, 22:09 »
I drive in sport mode all the time and have ACC set to Audi mode.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2017, 08:38 »
I use mine every day. I find that quite often in stop start traffic it'll slam the brakes on whilst crawling along at 5mph.

Another annoying part is when you're waiting for the car in front to return to the left lane before overtaking. The ACC waits a long time before getting back on the gas to pick up speed.

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2017, 09:34 »
I use the ACC about 90% of the time on my commute to work. I'm in a manual so I can't comment on the start and stop.

I think it's excellent, takes some of the stress out of driving, particularly when it's bad visibility (fog etc).

I have experienced all of the above. On the rare occasion it does late break, it's a bit unnerving, but I manage to fight the instinct to break most of the time, but sometimes I have to intervene.

The space invaders are annoying, but not much you can do there.

When a car pulls back to the left lane, a dose of the right foot mitigates the delay on the ACC picking up the speed.

I find it's worst behaviour to be picking up a car that pulls in front from the left lane, in terms of it's reaction times. It won't register on the graphic there's a car in front until it's almost fully over, and it won't start to break until that point either. This is where I have to intervene most.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2017, 10:18 »
The ACC radar coverage is better on the Mk7.5, it sees much wider. You don't get nearly so many undetected scenarios.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2017, 10:32 »
The ACC radar coverage is better on the Mk7.5, it sees much wider. You don't get nearly so many undetected scenarios.

And it stops you undertaking another car, Mk7 only did that when you were driving on the continent.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2017, 20:03 »

And it stops you undertaking another car, Mk7 only did that when you were driving on the continent.

A quick tap of the throttle soon over-rides this tho.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2017, 10:50 »
I find the Mk7.5 ACC brakes late when there is a big difference in speed. It did this on me twice. Now I just know to take over.

It is also a bit slow at keeping up if the traffic in front accelerates relatively fast. So again, slow to react to a speed difference.

Not sure what mode it is in. :embarrassed:

In general, it seems to recognise more situations correctly than the ACC in our A3.

On another topic: I was reversing up to a laurel hedge yesterday. I knew it would not damage the car so was going to reverse right up to it. THE CAR stopped dead, about a foot away. So that's the emergency brake assist tested! :huh: :grin:

Also, I love the way the front parking sensors automatically activate when I get close to something. :cool:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2017, 00:00 »
On another topic: I was reversing up to a laurel hedge yesterday. I knew it would not damage the car so was going to reverse right up to it. THE CAR stopped dead, about a foot away. So that's the emergency brake assist tested! :huh: :grin:
I recall seeing that mentioned in the manual, below a certain speed when reversing (5mph rings a bell) the parking sensors will stop the car. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.  :grin:
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.