Author Topic: Failed on emissions :-(  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Smiff•

• Not said much yet
Failed on emissions :-(
« on: 03 October 2017, 18:40 »
Hi!

I am looking for some advice please. Car failed on emissions today, I am a bit annoyed about this as I only had a new cat in 2015 (and I think sensor too but haven't found the paperwork yet) and in June this year new centre and back silencers. But I got these done at different places.  Which place should I take it back to, maybe I can get warranty?  When the car was serviced in August no error codes came up. When the exhaust was done I had asked them to find out the cause of hesitation under load (now improved but still unsolved) they changed a corroded hose and the exhaust and said further investigation needed!  I have noticed that it pops on deceleration. 

Test results: ok on natural idle, 0.6 on second fast idle and 0.9 on fast idle.

Car is yr 2000 2.0 8v GTI, probably not your favourite "GTI" but aside from this it's a great car, have had it many years. What to do??? And I just got new tyres for it :-(

Or should I take it somewhere completely different for an unbiased view?

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Re: Failed on emissions :-(
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2017, 18:44 »
Had the car been running for a while before the test? I've had a cat fail on emissions purely due to taking it cold down the road for its MOT. Took it to a different garage the same day for a second opinion, got it well warmed up and hot and passed emissions. They need to be well warmed up pre-test.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2017, 18:46 »
As said take it for a good run before taking it back  :smiley:

Offline Smiff•

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2017, 18:55 »
I'd been out in it earlier to get the new tyres but that was only a short trip. I just checked the trip and it says 17miles 1 hour 31mins. The MOT place is only a mile away. So either the MOT guys or the Tyre people had it running for some time?  Or does that just mean the ignition was on??? Can't remember how it counts :-/

If I take it for a good run tomorrow then take it back for retest, what would happen if it failed again? Would I then have to pay for a retest next time?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2017, 08:06 »
Any air leaks, intake and exhaust side? Popping on lift off could be leak in exhaust system.
I know you said no fault codes at service, any now?

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Smiff•

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2017, 14:28 »
Ok so today I have taken it back to the guys who replaced the exhaust middle and back parts where it was leaking. They said The exhaust came with some u shape connectors - not very good, he now found some better ones and said it isn't leaking any more. Drove round for a bit got the car nice and hot, took back for retest but failed again. This time lambda ok but failed on co. (.49). So it's going to have to be a new cat which is annoying as only had one fitted 2 years ago.  :angry: (warranty expired)

Can anyone recommend a cat that will last more than 2 years?????

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2017, 15:27 »
I'd doubt highly a cat would fail again after two years.
Which brand is it?
Does the car need a lot of oil (as it's the 2l)?

Offline Smiff•

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2017, 15:40 »
Hi
Yeah it drinks a fair bit of oil but not excessively, just usual for this model I think. I took it to the guy who fitted the cat, he hooked up the laptop and said the lambda sensor is ok but the cat isn't working properly.  I don't know what make the cat is or where it came from. (He might have got it from eurocarparts?)  I also had Mr Exhaust look at it, they pointed out the air leaks and said the cat wasn't working properly, said he could tell this from taking temperature readings before and after the cat. 

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2017, 15:56 »
How much oil over what so of mileage?
I'd look very carefully (do a smoke test) for any intake leaks, as well as any leaks in exhaust side (e.g. exhaust manifold).
I know I'm repeating myself but have you checked fault codes and measuring blocks in ECU?
I'm not too convinced about diagnosing a cat with checking temp before and after it - or that a new one would solve your issue.

Offline Smiff•

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2017, 17:12 »
Probably have to top up a litre every few months. So I guess a couple of thousand miles or more. I just did a long trip up north and it didn't need a top up this time. So I don't think there's a problem with that side. I am actually convinced that it is the cat.  The laptop was hooked up to the car but I didn't see what the codes were. He was watching figures change and concluded it was the cat. The mot tester said that closing the leaks has cleared part of the issue, but still the co is too high.