Author Topic: Who's put a Stage 1 on a Clubsport?  (Read 11626 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Who's put a Stage 1 on a Clubsport?
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2017, 11:41 »
I agree Trev, that plug is a pain. I could reach it from the top on the GTI but no chance on the ED40.
Likewise with my R and GTI.
It was quite literally a pain in the neck doing the plug a couple of times a year but I learnt to do it one handed.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2017, 12:47 »
To Trev's point, the JB4 does not override the overboost, as it just intercepts the ECU signals. There was talk the JB4 would have an override function but that would be invasive to ECU, so the additional power is added to the base power with or without overboost.

The JB4 does indeed over-ride the over-boost and here's the description from George of BMS himself: "On two of the maps it retains the over boost and then in map 6 which has absolute targeting (i.e. you punch in total boost you want) we over ride the over boost giving full power at all times. The mode of map 6 can also be changed to allow the overboost so users are not restricted when wanting to custom tune."

You must be familiar with how the JB1 works right? Traditionally, you just enter how much extra boost you want the car to make per rpm on top of what it makes as stock. The problem is in this situation you take for granted the car always makes the same boost on the same conditions which is true for 99% of the cars, but on a car with over/underboost mode like the CS, the car can make x.xx bar if you are in 2nd but y.yy bar when you are in 3rd and above and then drop back to x.xx if you flor it for more than 10". So the total boost every time depends on what base boost the car decides to make at each condition. The way to defeat this is to forget about boost increments and just enter absolute boost targets instead, that's only possible in JB4's map 6. Like that, even when the car makes less base boost because you're in 2nd or because you are on the throttle more than 10" the JB4 just fills in more to reach always the same boost target.

Just a note here, the car, this car in particular with this engine and turbo should have been hitting the same boost target at all times from factory so there is no "preserve the engine" argument really. That's how it works on all other variants of the same powertrain like the R, the S3 and even the fwd Cupra. The reason the over/underboost nonsense is present on the CS is because VW likes to separate it's models and wouldn't like the CS treading on the R's toes too much (a car that pulls faster than its flagship would't look good for the R which is anyway a model with far more importance for VW than an occassional special edition).

Paul, what mode are you running your JB4 on? Have you tried mode 6? I don't really see why would anyone run a JB4 on the CS and run it on anything other than map 6 having to bear with the stupid overboost. You can tone down the entire map slightly or at certain gears/rpm (another beauty of the JB4) but nowhere as close as 30bhp less as the stock overboost does.

I'm glad you lads running JB1/4 replied as that's what I had on my R and was unsure of how it would work with the overboost and therefore what settings it would have to be run with to prevent over-overboosting.

Rest assured there is no over-boost possible. On the contrary, the only thing that exists is under-boost as unless using JB4 on map 6, the car will always make less boost in 1st and 2nd, and on 3rd and above after 10" of WOT.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2017, 12:53 »
REVO stage 1 here, did it at about 800 miles and less than a month old. Currently just coming up to 6k with no issues to report. Highly recommend it, a 370bhp GTI is great fun believe me...  :grin:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2017, 17:09 »
Thanks Scanesare for the clear explanation, specifically how map6 works. Currently, I am just running the default map, which I believe is an increase of 4 PSI. I plan to experiment but have not got round to it yet.

Does map6 work the same on the JB1 and are you using this map on your JB1?

2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2017, 19:31 »
Thanks Scanesare for the clear explanation, specifically how map6 works. Currently, I am just running the default map, which I believe is an increase of 4 PSI. I plan to experiment but have not got round to it yet.

Does map6 work the same on the JB1 and are you using this map on your JB1?

JB1 is not able to work with absolute pressures, that means I have to live with overboost on/off behaviour which translates into two stages of power, like in stock mode and the reason I will probably upgrade to JB4 (especially if you say the installation is not as bad as originally described). Map 6 on JB1 just allows you to select custom extra boost per rpm, Map 6 on JB4 allows for custom total boost (bypassing overboost) so I am just using the default Map 1 as I have no need for custom settings.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2017, 09:37 »
REVO stage 1 here, did it at about 800 miles and less than a month old. Currently just coming up to 6k with no issues to report. Highly recommend it, a 370bhp GTI is great fun believe me...  :grin:

How's the clutch holding up? Not sure if the GTI, clubsport and R clutches are all the same but the clutches are supposed to be a bit marginal (which I found on my 'boxed' GTI PP).
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2017, 09:55 »
How's the clutch holding up? Not sure if the GTI, clubsport and R clutches are all the same but the clutches are supposed to be a bit marginal (which I found on my 'boxed' GTI PP).

So far so good, the software is the low boost option specifically for the manual.

Here's a quote from REVO:

"As vehicles are available with either a manual or DSG gearbox. Revo stage 1 software is available in 2 formats, low boost for manual gearboxes and a high boost for DSG and manual gearboxes with uprated clutches. The peak performance stays the same, however in the low boost software option our calibration engineers have been able to use torque management to limit boost at lower RPM before raising it to the same level as the high boost option. Offering protection of the stock clutch to help avoid slipping and reduce wear."

I accept that the clutch may not last as long as it would without the remap and consider it a consumable item like tyres, brakes etc... If it slips, i'll fit a better one.  :wink:
For example here's a 500bhp manual REVO stage 3 7R with an organic helix race clutch:
http://www.ads-automotive.co.uk/mk7-golf-r-remap/
Many other options are available.
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2017, 10:12 »

Over-boost deleted I presume? Also, any dyno sheet? Always nice to look at the curves.

Cheers

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2017, 10:17 »
Forget stage 1 - I'm looking to buy a clubsport in the future and straight to stage 2 lol.

400(ish) BHP through the front wheels anyone? Probably useless in first and second but after that it'll be a hoot!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2017, 10:28 »
Over-boost deleted I presume? Also, any dyno sheet? Always nice to look at the curves.

Cheers

Here you go...