Author Topic: Bad mpg  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Easy_E

• Not said much yet
Bad mpg
« on: 27 December 2013, 20:11 »
Hi, iv got a 2004 gt tdi 140ps and im averaging about 27 mpg. I am doing alot of 40mph driving so dont expect it to be amazing but i would have thought it would average about 40mpg with the kind of driving i have been doing. Apart from a good service of the engine,remap, driving slower lol is there anything else i can do to improve mpg? Is there any other parts of the engine which get clogged up in sh!te and could do with a clean? I mean the tyre pressures are ok im up at about 32psi all round?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Bad mpg
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2013, 10:28 »
Boost leaks
MAF
Clogged EGR

That is very low MPG. What is it like on a decent run??

Offline greg1953

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2013, 12:01 »
Mine's an '05 and going by the trip comp. we are getting 60.2 at the moment, I don't know how accurate this is but we easily get over 500 from a tank. On a steady motorway trip this goes up to 62.
Greg

Offline Easy_E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2013, 14:18 »
Well the turbos just been done with a refurbished unit, i would hope that the mechanic which fitted it would have checked all the hoses for any sign of splits or leaks. I will post back if servicing or the EGR being cleaned fixes the problem. Maybe even buy a new MAF sensor. I dont have a manual with the car but the average mpg is the one with the circle with the line through it isnt it? It goes up to about 34 tops if i drive for around half an hour on 40-60mph roads.

Oh and i havent really been on a decent run yet and wont see it until i return to work for my 50 mile commute.

Offline Easy_E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2014, 22:47 »
Well just had the cam belt done with the alternator belt and water pump and the mpgs hitting 43ish in town driving round home the alternator belt was rattling so needed a new tensioner. I havent even had it serviced yet but it must have been the alternator belt or the tension of the belts which was killing the diesel im pretty surprised. Ill let u know what mpg i get after a good service and clean out.  :wink: