Author Topic: I Fancy a mk2  (Read 8797 times)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
I Fancy a mk2
« on: 14 November 2010, 17:22 »
Hi guys im new to the mk2 section im normally in the mk4 section..

I love the mk2 and have just got permission from the parents to have a little mk2 as a bit of a project car..

I was wondering if there was a buying guide or such about.. ??

I want a 3 door GTI i know there are 8v and 16v variants and also a G60 ?? Is there others..

Whats the best model to get and of what age.. I was thinking of doing the VR conversion as my friend has a VR sitting in his garage i could nick off him  :grin: ... ??

So what do i have to look out for guys when buying and how to tell if its a lemon..

I am by no means a professional mechanic but am handy enough with a spanner so i don't want want a massive bare shell respray and rebuild etc.. just something i can tinker with for a year or so get it fit for the roads.. How much am i looking to payfor a car like this ??

Sorry for the 21 questions

Dan
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: I Fancy a mk2
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2010, 17:40 »
You should know by now to use the search function.  :grin:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2010, 17:49 »
I should but i want all the info in one place so its easier for me to read.. Im sure people wont mind asnwering anyways.. no ?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2010, 18:06 »
Buy a 90 spec (big Bumper) Mk2 as the loom is different and makes engine conversions easier - you tell these apart as they have the hazard light on the steering column.  Pre 90 spec one had it on the dash.

Body condition is more important than engine milage/age as engines can easily be fixed/replaced.

Look for rust around arches, sills, windscreen wiper blank, boot, fuel filler cap.

8v's are more common then the 16v by a factor of 4-1.  8v will giver better MPG - 40 ish - as it has electronic ignition.  16v uses Bosch K-jet mechanical, about 30 mpg.

16v is better  :rolleyes: as it is faster.  The torque kicks in around 4000 rpm all the way to the red line.  8v is lower down but runs out of puff.

So you want a H/J reg 16v.  These also come with power steering, electric windows and a sunroof as standard.

Check for water leaks in the footwells.  This is due to shrunk/no door membranes, blocked sunroof tubes, failed seal on the blower mesh cover in the scuttle panel, and failed/shrunk grommets for the accelerator/bonnet release cable.

Check all the electrical things work.  Air vent blower power may be down due to the vent direction selector membrane perishing.  Tell tale is bits of foam shooting out of the vents on full blower.  Bit of a potch to remove but simple fix.

Dim headlights are due to them only getting 9v instead of the full 12v.  Off the shelf or home made harness can be used to get brighter lights.  :smiley:

As said, plenty more info available if you weren't so lazy.

Jonathan.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2010, 18:11 »
Thank you very much.. im not lazy just want it in one place so i can print ff and take with me when viewing a car..

Whats the G60 an are the really expensive or any good ??

Cheers again for info above

Dan

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2010, 18:28 »
g60's are left hand drive only due to the fact that we didnt get them so they are all imported,there are two variations,there is the edition one,which looks like a normal mk2 gti but with larger wheel arch extensions and there is the later version which is the raylle,these have retangle headlights a different grill and flared wings,expect to pay anything up to 9K for a well looked after low milege raylle,i would say it is not the one to go for if you want to pull the engine out and do major modifications as they are rare and are worth much more in standard form,also i think you would be happy enough with the power the g60 produces.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2010, 18:34 »
Right i will stick with looking for a late 16valve then.. Cheers guys..

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2010, 18:40 »
Right i will stick with looking for a late 16valve then.. Cheers guys..

If you are serious about doing the engine swap then go for the 8v as they are cheaper to buy and as you are swapping the engine it wont matter if they arnt as fast or not,personally i would get the 16v tho,they are ALOT of fun and they sound awsome with a fourbranch manifold and performance exhaust fitted and 139bhp is not to be sniffed at in such a small light car,you will be suprised how quick they are. :wink:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2010, 18:50 »
Are they really all that with a VR in them ?? or is the 16v more than enough ?? just think the VR looks better under the bonnet..

VW BUSH

« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2010, 18:51 »
Late 8v H/J + Mk3 (16v) donor car for wide track and ABF conversion, reckon you could do it for £2k.
One long cold winter in the shed and its done for summer, then save for body work  :wink: