Author Topic: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels  (Read 34835 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels
« Reply #110 on: 15 June 2021, 07:34 »
It’s a big purchase so not something to be rushed into.

This site has a huge choice and a configurator to get an idea of “on car” looks: https://www.felgenoutlet.com/en/
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #111 on: 15 June 2021, 07:50 »
I stumbled across that site yesterday and I agree that it is one of the best.  Wheel weight is another thing to consider but that's not easy to find on most sites.  It's another thing that's putting me off the cheaper wheels.

Decisions, decisions!  🤔
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #112 on: 15 June 2021, 08:20 »
Weights are hard to get info for. I wanted to ideally save weight over the VW 19s, but wasn’t essential. Some of the current ‘scene’ wheels are heavy simply down to the style.

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #113 on: 15 June 2021, 08:45 »
I stumbled across that site yesterday and I agree that it is one of the best.  Wheel weight is another thing to consider but that's not easy to find on most sites.  It's another thing that's putting me off the cheaper wheels.

Decisions, decisions!  🤔

To be honest, at £480 a set I'd consider them nearly disposable. As long as they're safe, it would keep the OEMs tucked up under covers in the garage for resale.

I'd be keen to know the weight of their 18" wheels vs Richmond's
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #114 on: 15 June 2021, 09:30 »
Adelaides are 12.6kg each.... thats nuts.

However, to get lighter is expensive... I'm certain it would benefit the car but at a price.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #115 on: 15 June 2021, 11:24 »
Adelaides are 12.6kg each.... thats nuts.

However, to get lighter is expensive... I'm certain it would benefit the car but at a price.

You can drop over 3kg a corner for less than a grand all in. There are some well priced wheels about

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #116 on: 15 June 2021, 11:58 »
Are CM Wheels road legal then? Are there any kite mark type rules on this kind of thing?
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #117 on: 15 June 2021, 12:38 »
Are CM Wheels road legal then? Are there any kite mark type rules on this kind of thing?

No there isn't.

TUV would be a reasonable starting point, but its not a requirement in the UK.

You also have to question whether some items originating from a certain large Asian land mass aren't just stamped with whatever anyway.

Someone I once knew who made bike exhausts used to offer to stamp them with a BS kit mark for example.... saved a lot of bother from a pull.... but...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #118 on: 15 June 2021, 22:54 »
As carbon says, the CM reps are cheap enough to not be overly worried if one gets a bit bent by a pothole. They don’t seem to fare any worse than OEM wheels from what I’ve read.
As for road legal, I’m not sure what the regulations are but CM Wheels sell enough of the things!

The sole reason I bought a set was the state of the roads this past winter and me not wanting to risk an expensive set of OEM wheels.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #119 on: 15 June 2021, 23:36 »
As carbon says, the CM reps are cheap enough to not be overly worried if one gets a bit bent by a pothole. They don’t seem to fare any worse than OEM wheels from what I’ve read.
As for road legal, I’m not sure what the regulations are but CM Wheels sell enough of the things!

The sole reason I bought a set was the state of the roads this past winter and me not wanting to risk an expensive set of OEM wheels.

What Cm did you put on and what size? Any pics on the white?