Author Topic: Clubsport or R, your choice?  (Read 10738 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: Clubsport or R, your choice?
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2021, 13:03 »
Some people pay that for an R32  :wink:
I always laff when people go on about road tax.

Road tax isn’t a laughing matter for me, we only do about 3k per year, I think it should be put on fuel instead, more you drive the more you pollute the more you pay
so fully electric cars don't pay anything which in turn will put the price up for everyone else? All cars on the road should be paying something and the money generated should go into road upkeep, something that doesn't happen now.

Yep agree but where is the money going?, it’s certainly not going into the air we breathe, also not all electric cars are free, my parents in law have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and it’s £140 on tax

MK7 GTi

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2021, 13:07 »
Road tax isn’t a laughing matter for me, we only do about 3k per year, I think it should be put on fuel instead, more you drive the more you pollute the more you pay
Don't disagree. I only do about 6k before covid and have to pay 3 sets of road tax.  :wink:
So i do agree with you.
But the way i look at it is whats the daily cost rather than yearly. What is the gain for the extra cost.
But people who make coments at work about it normally waste far more money daily. Which is what makes me laff.
Daily Takeaway coffees, sandwitchs from the van. Takeaways Etc etc.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 02 February 2021, 13:18 »
Some people pay that for an R32  :wink:
I always laff when people go on about road tax.

so fully electric cars don't pay anything which in turn will put the price up for everyone else? All cars on the road should be paying something and the money generated should go into road upkeep, something that doesn't happen now.

Well they still pay luxury car tax, it's only the basic 150 quid they don't pay.

At the moment... Change is coming, they recognise the revenue hole that's opening up but in order to get the whole thing off of the ground they needed some financial incentive.

Likely as not the new system is road pricing, they just haven't figured out exactly how it's going to work. Black box is the arguably fairest mechanism but has privacy issues. It also would enable them to charge for different types of road. City driving is expensive, motorways cheaper, rural roads even cheaper. Doubt they will do it because of privacy.

I expect the solution to simply be that you have to visit an mot station for an annual mileage recording and payment. Low tech, cheap to implement, no spying problems.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 02 February 2021, 15:14 »
That'll probably just mean an even bigger market in clocking cars.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 02 February 2021, 15:23 »
That'll probably just mean an even bigger market in clocking cars.

You cant cover everything

MK7 GTi

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 02 February 2021, 15:48 »
Well they still pay luxury car tax, it's only the basic 150 quid they don't pay.

Alas no, EV's do not pay the luxury car tax. From gov.uk;-

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £325 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).
7.5 GTD

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 02 February 2021, 16:01 »
Yep thats right, Hybrid's also used to be zero tax but not anymore

MK7 GTi

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #37 on: 02 February 2021, 16:21 »
Oh ok.

Its all a moving thing anyway and they don't ever change existing tax regimes.

We have a F56 mini that pays 30 quid a year and a clapped out fiesta that pays 290 - both on different tax schemes to my Mk7.5 GTD.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 02 February 2021, 16:32 »
Oh ok.

Its all a moving thing anyway and they don't ever change existing tax regimes.

We have a F56 mini that pays 30 quid a year and a clapped out fiesta that pays 290 - both on different tax schemes to my Mk7.5 GTD.

Yep the bastards are always looking at different ways to screw you!, we just bought our 18 year old son a 2006 Golf MK5 1.4 thinking it would be £160 per year, its now changed to £240 :angry:

MK7 GTi

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 02 February 2021, 16:44 »
Would actually go for the R, even though presently a TCR driver and very happy one from being a previous R owner.

Reason is think the R just looks better - the caveat is that would want the performance and Akra to be clear choice over the Clubsport.

Am interested to see what the ED 45 has to offer when details truly come out.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC